I've been using the tried and true method of string selection and tuning for an open G (GDG) for most of the 3 string CBG's that I have built and for my 4 String I simply added the the B as the high sting (GDGB)

But after seeing a YouTube clip about an alternative tuning, using the same strings namely the 5th, 4th and 3rd from a 6 string set but this time tuned to A,D,F#. which makes a D chord just played as the 5th note (A) then the Root (D) and finally the 3rd (F#) it got me thinking.

I stared to look at the option of using the 4th,3rd and 2nd strings left in their original tuning of D G B, which is still a open G chord in the same format as above of 5th, Root, 3rd.

Looking at Theo's Chord Generator site (http://chordgen.rattree.co.uk/#) it works out that you can still bar the chords for example all strings down at the 5th fret, plays a C chord and at the 7th fret it is D chord just like standard slide / open chord tuning. But I prefer the fret the chords most of the time and just slide occasionally .

Has anyone in here tried this string section / tuning and if so how did they feel about its sound and playability ?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well, it's 3/4 of banjo tuning, so it should work well. You can get some Interesting effects tuning the B down to Bb. Both are playable, especially for jazzy type things with similar chord shapes to a 6-banger. Experiment!
  • i use The 123 and 4 string in a pack and tune open G (DGbd) i didn't realize 3 string players just add a B for the first string different way to get there i guess im more of a tenor guitar player  no rulesundefined

• Several people here use this tuning.

Give it a try you might like it and any decent chord generator can provide you with different chord shapes for any tuning you choose. There is a small free app called Fret that I believe I downloaded from somewhere on the site that is really good for generating chords for CBGs in various tunings.

I tune a lot of my 4 strings to DGBe so people that are used to playing 6 stringers in standard tuning can transition easier

• The DGB tuning is 3/4 of a tenor guitar (4 string tuning) of DGBd, with the 4321 strings. An alternate tuning is DGBe. These can be versatile for chords, finger picking & solo/lead play, and slide...a win-win. Imho, the 4 string tuning offers more tonal variety.

This reply was deleted.