One of the things I thought we could do with this group is exchange information on sources of materials etc. I am a fairly recent convert to the world of CBGs so my experience is limited, but I'm sure we all have information that can help others. Even sharing experienced with components. 

So, to kick things off: 

Maplins. In almost every town that I know of. I have used their piezos, 1/4" jack output sockets and volume pots. For these they are cheaper than the best on eBay and comparing quality they seem better. I got an output jack from eBay and the tread was very badly formed to the extent that the nut didn't fit properly. They replaced it but the replacement wasn't great. The ones from Maplins have well cut threads and seem fine. Volume pots are also cheaper. I have compared the piezos with some other ones popular with the CBG makers and prefer the Maplin ones by a small margin. Again, they are cheaper. 

For tools and consumables Wilkinsons is good. Sand paper, steel wool, Danish Oil. All very cheap there. I got allen keys on a large keyring type thing which I think were 99p per set (could be wrong on that, but cheap anyway). So far the fit seems fine and they are strong enough. I got a set in imperial and in metric. 

Just a thought that I had the other day, and someone may be able to confirm or squash this. Finding cigar boxes. Some clubs (golf clubs, cricket clubs, gentlemen's clubs) sell cigars. What do they do with the boxes? This has only just occurred to me but I wonder if anyone else has tried this as a source and did it pay off. 

OK. That's all I have at the moment.

Views: 611

Replies to This Discussion

hello everyone, does any know where i can get fretwire at a reasonable price, mail order,i managed to buy some in Hereford a while ago but it was the last of it and they're not getting any more in,not even when i offered to pay upfront-i can't believe they don't want the trade,might be the fact-  'what make of guitar is it mate?'. :(  help me if you can i'm feelin' down mmmm-a song there i think  John- i just got a commission enquirery!!!!

Hi John.

The only place I have found so far is Touchstone Tonewoods who are at http://www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk/. They recently updated their site and I think they haven't quite sorted it out, but if you can't find what you want they will help on the phone.

Hope this helps.

John

John Bassett said:

hello everyone, does any know where i can get fretwire at a reasonable price, mail order,i managed to buy some in Hereford a while ago but it was the last of it and they're not getting any more in,not even when i offered to pay upfront-i can't believe they don't want the trade,might be the fact-  'what make of guitar is it mate?'. :(  help me if you can i'm feelin' down mmmm-a song there i think  John- i just got a commission enquirery!!!!

Hi there,

I've always got fretwire in 2 foot lengths from Ebay from this chap http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/snowcauldron/ 

I honestly don't know how it compares in terms of price or quality, but they deliver it pretty fast.

Cheers,

Kevin

thanks guys, i'll check those out in a couple of days, i'm off to catch the last day of a little festy in shropshire just now...

john

I use Axesrus quite a bit ( http://www.axesrus.co.uk ).

That's who I've got my fret wire from - they sell it in pre-cut pieces, which is possibly not as cheap as buying long lengths but it's been convenient and their service has always been first class.

I've bought pickups and tuners from them as well.

Hey, Roadkill!

I was passing through Heathrow Terminal 1 yesterday and asked at a duty free shop. They just GAVE me an empty cigar box. They said the best place to find cigar boxes in London would be James J Fox on St. James St. http://www.jjfox.co.uk

Let me know if this works for you.

-- Alan

Roadkill a.k.a. John Maw said:

Yes. I think you're right. Would golfers smoke on the course between bouts of ball whacking? I don't know, but I was probably barking up the wrong tree. Any other thoughts welcome.

Alan Roberts said:

We have no cricket clubs in Eugene, OR.

You can no longer smoke in Oregon bars (nor in English ones, eh?) so just about the only place you can buy cigars is at a tobacconist. You see them at our off-license (Yanks call them liquor stores), but they sell so few they rarely have empty boxes.But I DO know some tobacconists who sell piles of cigars, so I buy from them.

Hi Alan.

Thanks for the tip. What box did they give to you? Was it a useful size? Look forward to seeing what you make from it if it proves to be suitable.

All the best.

John

i just found out i have access to a large amount of inch and a half square birch plywood about 5 feet long. any good for necks-if used 'edge on?? wadda think, could look interesting .... it is packing for those bloody great windmills they seem so keen on round here...:)

Hi John.

I know I would be tempted to have a go. I would want to seal the surface (the edge of the ply) very well against splinters. I would be tempted to drizzle superglue over it (you can get cheap superglue from the pound shop - several tubes for a pound), then sand. Cellulose sanding sealer might do, but I think superglue would penetrate better and so make a more secure bond. Really looking forward to seeing how it goes.

it has just struck me i am after building a solid body 3 stringer with a mag pup , i could do the whole thing with it. i fully agree with you on the splinter issue, but it does seem pretty sound.any way i got 2 builds to finish yet and a tin driven thing 2 st diddley i wanna build oh yeah and a ...etc.. great innit chav

birchply is furniture grade, sanded down and finished it should be fine. 

keep an eye out for replacement windows going in, often means hardwood windowsill/ frames are coming out. nice straight long lengths for necks.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Exchanging info on sources of materials etc.

Started by Roadkill a.k.a. John Maw. Last reply by Michael Baker Oct 12, 2012. 33 Replies

sidcup cigar box soiree

Started by Pyno. Last reply by MrRandomWritings (Backwater Bri) Jul 22, 2011. 1 Reply

CBGs in Luton and Cambridge

Started by Roadkill a.k.a. John Maw. Last reply by Mark Jun 7, 2011. 6 Replies

Chickenbone John at MAB in Luton - Friday 10th June

Started by Roadkill a.k.a. John Maw. Last reply by Barry "Backwater Jack" Nova May 25, 2011. 12 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Burn baby burn! Top looks hot Crazed; sporty headstock too. Excellent build."
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"You are a busy guy Warren! Outstanding builds and each one unique; well done."
3 hours ago
AGP # commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

""Sweeeeeeeeet", love the burning on the Body, have a Build on the Bench at the moment,…"
4 hours ago
AGP # liked Crazed Fandango's photo
4 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
5 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Often quite true Uncle John :) -Glenn"
7 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Ha, Ha.  Less is more."
9 hours ago
Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"Sounding good, A.D. Great looking git."
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Thanks Keith ! appreciated !"
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Thank you for the comment Doug !appreciated !"
9 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->