Hi all, got a question for you guys. What methods and/or tricks do you use to cut back on unwanted box noise? I have used disc piezos on the majority of my builds. I place them on the underside of the lid under the bridge with hot glue, and then cover it with more hot glue. Sometimes it turns out great, with very little box noise, other times it picks up a fly fart from across the room. What gives?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Generally, I use a thick layer of hot glue to attach the piezo.  I've had more problems with piezos in wooden boxes than pressboard ones.  My last build, I sandwiched the piezo with thin corrugated cardboard, and it worked well. 

• 305791187?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024I cut 41mm disc piezo`s with a large sissors to an oblong shape for my bone bridges...and the bridges sound fantastic !! This one was a custom order...the inside of the bone was filled with tiny brass beads then wood capped shut on the ends. The customer said it produces a growl like sound when he plays. Here`s Tinqui8 doing a demo if one of my bone bridges using this same method of how i do the piezo`s.  http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/lapsteel-mojobonework-1

• Hahaha! Kill the flies! I needed a good laugh, thank you. I'm like you Andy, I try to do it the same everytime but with varied results.

Oily, thanks for all of the alternate methods. I think I am about done with disc piezos, going to move up to rod piezos and pickups, but I would like to make the best of the discs I have left. I will give them a shot to see what works.
    • That's the one....
      Disc piezos suck donkey balls leave em In the smoke detector
      • Im still learning. For the price, they can't be beat, but I am ready to make the leap to better sound quality.
        • Get the discs out of the box. Build them into the bridge on the outside and you will get much less box noise. Not all gone but much better than in the box. 

• Thanks for the tip, I will try it out as well. I usually make my bridges rather small, but if hiding a disc under a larger bridge will make an improvement, then a bigger bridge it shall be. I just want to get the best sound I can out of my remaining piezos before I move up to pickups.
            • Top secret tip: you can cut the brass outside the ceramic disc smaller with shears if you are careful. This makes it easier to fit into the bridge plate. I trim 2 sides to make it a rectangle shape. It still works the same . I have heard that you can cut the ceramic in half also but I have not had any luck with that, it usually chips off when I try. 

• Tc,

Many builders have this problem. You've already done the Gobs O' Glue method. Some move them to the heaviest string side; some glue them between two thin pieces of wood and glue that to the lid; some attach them with silicone, then liberally coat that with another dollop of silicone; some bore a small depression in the neck, insert the piezo in their with glue or silicone, then glob in more silicone; and some stuff the box cavity with newspapers or shop rags ( which seems counterintuitive, but works for some people). The ones I've seen and heard here on CBN that seem to report the greatest success are the silicone glob method, and the wood sandwich method.

And maybe, since no two piezos are absolutely identical, you occasionally get a hypersensitive one. Try swapping it out with a different one. There just doesn't seem to be a single answer with these beasties.
    • There is a single answer, but u won't like it....
This reply was deleted.