Hi all! I'm setting out to build my first cigar box instrument. I'm a mandolin player, and want to build a four string electric.

I am thinking I will use this basic design:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/albums/my-1st-build-step-by-step

Instead of a floating bridge, I want to use something like this:

https://www.mgbguitars.com/guitar-parts-bridges-4string-roller-chro...

And maybe a pickup like this:

https://www.mgbguitars.com/guitar-parts-electronics-pickups-4string...

The cigar boxes I have are fairly thick and sturdy (see pics). I have limited experience with luthiery, but can set up an instrument, have made my own compensated floating mandolin bridges, and have refret an old mandolin banjo. I want to give it probably 20 frets, with the 15th at the neck/body intersection and a small fretboard extension. Does anyone have experience with the specific parts I mentioned? Would you recommend anything different? I would appreciate advice on the design, and any other help.

Views: 948

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for that reply Richard, I had to read it four times to understand the concept and your suggestion but I see what you are getting at. I may have to build a deeper heel but that's doable. Enthusiasm doesn't always compensate for experience so I appreciate you sharing yours with me. 

Thanks Hans I have a better understanding of this now. I also appreciate the link to the angle calculator I will definitely use this for my build. I've already put a curved interior reinforcement inside the box under the bridge so I'm hoping this will counteract some of the string tension. I have a link to a paper on mandolin bridges provided by Thomas so I'll try to find one to suit my purpose and plug it into the calculator. Watch my my page for progress on my build. Thanks for taking the time to respond and spread the knowledge.

Mandolin is a great instrument, be prepared to become obsessed! I've been playing for about 4-1/2 years, and absolutely love it. I've connected with it like no other instrument.

Cool, I think you'll be happy with the Kentucky, people speak very highly of them. I have been in WV a year. I am originally from Pittsburgh, and spent the last 22 years in El Paso, TX. I went down there in the Army, and stayed a while after I got out. I moved up here for a better job, and to be closer to family. My brother and his family live in Harpers Ferry.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->