Replies

• steel wool and apple cider vinegar

306615914?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

instant coffee. 

306616847?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

(take in the account of the flame jobs . ) 

and  starting with pure white new  pine 

• I have used the steel wool and vinegar for quite some time on my customers custom picture framing and it works quite well.  Sometimes when first applied it almost has a purple tint but then darkens to sometimes dark gray and sometimes to black.

I have also started experimenting with Keda dyes from Ebay.  Haven't tried the black yet but the red works well.  Looks great on maple, they have a wide range of colors and one can mix them to make custom colors.

• Plus one on the viinegar and steel wool

Torrefaction is my other favoured method. Wrap in foil bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes.

200 Celsius or 400 f should do it.

• Some really good input here. I have used the shoe polish method to rejuvenate amplifier Tolex with great results. Never thought about using it on wood.

• I have had great success using cheap black spray paint as wood stain... hose the board down, grab a rag dampened with mineral spirits and wipe most of the paint away... it works great... let dry and add 2-3 coats of poly, it looks awesome...
    • I've had good results with liquid shoe polish that comes with the foam applicator, same method as yours John, many colours available

• I have used fabric dye on wood in the past. Works fairly well. Also the vinegar and steel wool trick is great for achieving black. As always do a test piece first. 

• Milt - on woods like  poplar and pine  , i find  you can get from  a grey-ish barn board    to  a coffee colored result from  the vinegar and steel wool process .  but oak  etc  . will  turn black easier . (depending on  # of coats  / soaking time  etc) .  

• Pick

You are the master of this method and are absolutely correct. Guess I should have mentioned oak works best. I believe this is due to the tannic acid content. It also works pretty well on walnut and mahogany.

If anybody doesn't know the process. Pour some vinegar into a container. I use glass. Throw in a chunk of steel wool, let it sit for awhile (overnight?) then wipe or brush it on.    

• I'd add another step - pour the mixture thru a coffee filter into a second jar to get rid of any little pieces of steel.  With some of the oak pieces I did it raised the grain quite a bit giving a rougher feel, others only darkened and stayed pretty smooth.  Also a test piece I never finished developed rust spots over time so be sure to put a finish over it (pieces with tru-oil never have shown rust spots). 

This reply was deleted.