Dremel

Well, I have finally decided to bite the bullet and get myself a dremel tool (i went through 3 rotary tools at HF, burning out all 3 before finally giving up (thank goodness for their 90 day return policy)..  I dont want to break the bank by any means, but also want to make sure my dremel is adequate enough for most CBG work (cutting, sanding, etc)...  any recommendations on which model to get?  Which accessories do i definitely want/need?  Any advice on rotary and saw attachments?????

THANKS, as always for your help,  you guys rock.

Mark

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thought you guys might get a kick out of this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Inexpensive-Dremel-Foot-Switch/

• I have one of the heavier cordless models and it does well for what I ask of it.  It came with a kit including a circle cutting tool which I've used with a spiral bit to cut perfectly sized holes in boxes for resonator cones.  Diamond discs make quick work of bone grinding too. Drum sanders and disc cutters are about the only other items I use it for, but it is convenient.

• The package deals dremel3000 dremel4000 etc are a good starter package but for a second and third (you can't have enough dremels!!) try searching eBay for 'dremel OEM' ... You can get a great deal on the machine only for twenty or thirty bucks.

The older units are really great too if you see one second hand.
    Also, keep spare brushes! These can be had on eBay for only a few bucks too, but make sure you get the ones for your exact model, there's a few form factors for the brushes

Ps you're kidding yourself if you think a dremel can replace or negate the need for a router.. They're great for little jobs, inlay etc but they're not built to make pickup cavities etc
    • Not kidding myself. Have to use it for the appropriate job; bigger jobs require a heavier duty router. Which I have.
  • Hi All,

Do any of you know if they make a model that works with both 120Vac and 220Vac ?

I ask this as I'd like to buy one, but sometimes I'm in the States and more often in China, so I need one that will do both. If that's not an option, then I'll also need to buy a heavy duty 220Vac to 120Vac power coonverter. Any recommendations with regards to power converters?

This is an interesting topic, which I'll bookmark now. Would like to know more about how people are using these tools on their builds.

-Rand.

• Rand, get a step up/step down transformer.  I use them in my lab for equipment coming from UK/Europe that doesn't have an on-board power convertor (vacuum pumps, etc).   They are not bad for cost on Amazon.com and you can get them to different power ratings.  Some you have to set the input line voltage and some are auto-detect.  There is usually one 220V and one 110V outlet on the front.  These are much more reliable and robust than the plug-in type that hangs on the outlet.

• found a lot of uses for something i thought i'd never need, drill, grinding stone...dremel on! (-:

• From what i have seen the dremel router attachment has gotten poor review (plastic bends, etc).  Anyone know if the attachment below would fit with a 4000? It looks to be an older model, so metal in place of plastic...i dont know much about routers as of yet.  Also, does it look like it is a pretty complete piece? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dremel-Plunge-Router-Attachment-MODEL-2-615...

THANKS

Mark

• I've got the Dremel 3000 which is great for small accurate/awkward jobs.  Only power tool in my shed apart from my drill.  I made my first 30 guitars without it but now I wouldn't be without it.

• Thanks for all the advice guys. I've got my 4000 on the way. I got the kit with the flex shaft. Should be here Tuesday. It will be good because my last few builds have been pretty crude because of a lack if fine tools (I cNt do too much with hand tools at the moment because of nerve problems. Skee: I have read many reviews about the dremel router base similar to yours. Not a lot of fans out there.

Thanks all for your guidance. It is much appreciated.

Mark
This reply was deleted.