Replies

• I considered this yesterday and decided on little bolts. I figured that the pros and cons of both glue and fixings to be half and half so went for the asthetics of small bolts.

Will King gives good advice about drilling the holes in the bowl.. It was hard to drill and I killed a bowl on my first attempt. 

• I've often wondered why CBGs rigidly attach the resonator. Traditional resonator guitars are very specific about "NOT" attaching the resonator, but instead, allow the down pressure of the bridge and strings hold it in place. From what I've read, locking the resonator down with screws reduces volume and the resonator's ability to vibrate.

Just something to consider.

• I am going to experiment with the string pressure 1st. Am thinking of screwing a circular series of small screws that will slightly elevate the bowl above the top to increase vibration and volume. A downward pressure tailpiece will probably help also. Hoping the string pressure will be enough and not effect any movement or intonation issues.

G

• That's how I'm approaching it. The cover will have a few screws in it, but the cat food bowl will float between a couple of small scrap blocks and the bridge/biscuit.

• A few knurdles of clear silicon sealer maybe? If for any reason you need to get back inside (Which happens on occasion) Utility knife blade laid flat on box and maneuvered around to cut loose. You may consider Wayfinders approach, I still can't get that visual out of my head. (;-D)

• I think the vibrations would brake the glue.  The string pressure on the saddle/bridge will hold the dog bowl in anyway.  I always put 4 little screws in to hold it down.  I use a punch to make the hole in the stainless steel bowl rim and work the punch into the hole in a circular motion to make the hole bigger to fit the screw.  Drilling the stainless is very hard to do without very good drill bits.

• Thanks Will.

• There's no rules in CBG building....but I wouldn't suggest it.

• Thanks Thumper

This reply was deleted.