Hi guys,

I'm starting a new build, and was thinking of going to town and add brass corners and grommets. The question I have is, does the clutter glued, screwed or bolted to the lid of a box cause a noticeable change in the box's volume? 

Also, I get the idea of a sound hole allowing the sound to escape from the box, but any cutting to the box's lid would cause the quality of the resonance to dip. Is there an optimum sound hole size to get the best of both worlds?

(I've added a photo of the box I'll be using, just for a point of reference.)

Cheers

Hedley

Cigar Box.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Quad top Nomex sandwitch...whatever next!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnZ8MHXxI5k

• Love all this information but unfortunately I lack the experience and education to really make use of it. Heck, I struggle to hear the difference between great and exceptional and have enough trouble sometimes between good and great! I will say that to my novice ear, that Kasha guitar sounds truly exceptional. My daughter who has been playing for a few years thought so too.

• Gas filled CBG's ........Cool idea!!!!!!

"The sole practical exception to this is heliox (oxygen/helium mixtures) used     by deep sea divers. Heliox mixtures significantly change the speed of sound     relative to normal air. Heliox causes an increase in the speed of sound which     results in an increase in resonance frequencies for given resonance wavelengths     (equivalent to effect of increasing string tension or reducing string mass     for string vibration). Click     here to hear a sample of diver's speech under the influence of heliox."

• All CBGs are gas-filled. >:-E
      • http://www.classicalguitars.ca/resonances.htm

• 305883032?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Double top!!!....You will like this idea:

http://www.classicalguitars.ca/doubletops.htm

• "Construction of a double-top involves two thin "skins" of wood separated by a core of an aerospace material called "honeycomb". Honeycomb is well-named, with a hexagonal cell structure that in thicker cross sections looks very like the honeycomb in a beehive. Density is very low, since there is considerably more open space than cell wall, and just like in a beehive, the hexagonal structure is very strong.

As for the skins, to date I have used spruce, cedar, and
              redwood
              . All work extremely well, as do combinations of two species, one
              for the inner skin and another for the outer. Typically I use cedar for the
              inner skin because of its light weight, and I've achieved particularly fine
              results with either spruce or redwood as the outer surface of the guitar.
              Interestingly, in these combination double-tops, it is the species of wood of
              the outer skin that appears to determine much of the character of the sound we
              hear. Spruce outer skins give the separation,clarity, and bell-like quality we
              usually associate with spruce guitars, while redwood outer skins give the
              warmer, darker, more romantic sound traditionally associated with cedar tops"

Clever Bloke that Fritz Meuler

• ...composite tops flex very differently than solid tops, almost as if the grain of the wood has disappeared.

So basically it's a hi-tech plywood (laminate) top.

This reply was deleted.