Replies

• Oh, man, you don't need anything from me; I'm nobody special. The sound coming out of that thing is awesome no matter what anyone says. I love how it looks like it was sort of just stapled together but then you can plug it in and rip that killer tone out of it. Fantastic work.

Crow said:
    LOL
    OMG

josh gayou likes my plank guitar. WO HOO!

made my day!

:D
  • LOL
    OMG

josh gayou likes my plank guitar. WO HOO!

made my day!

:D
  • That thing is tits.

ed wentling said:
    crow just saw your video on the plank guitar cool concept dude. It rocks

Crow said:
    i used an old single coil and a jack. i grounded the metal bridge, but that's it. volume knob is not needed.

here's the guitar:
    at 1:25 i play it clean tone
    at 1:45 i add some awesome overdrive

hope this helps!
  • Try everything.

Crow said:
    thanks man!

that guitar NEVER gets used.. i'm really happy with my cigar box guitar..
    i need to get my hands on more coil pickups though because i really miss the ability to use effects pedals..

or maybe i should just try effects pedals anyhow, with my piezo guitars..?

anyways, thanks!
  • thanks man!

that guitar NEVER gets used.. i'm really happy with my cigar box guitar..
    i need to get my hands on more coil pickups though because i really miss the ability to use effects pedals..

or maybe i should just try effects pedals anyhow, with my piezo guitars..?

anyways, thanks!
  • crow just saw your video on the plank guitar cool concept dude. It rocks

Crow said:
    i used an old single coil and a jack. i grounded the metal bridge, but that's it. volume knob is not needed.

here's the guitar:
    at 1:25 i play it clean tone
    at 1:45 i add some awesome overdrive

hope this helps!
  • Yeah, like I said, if you're not going to gig you should be fine and can ground the strings assuming your house is grounded properly (it most likely is). When you don't ground the stings you may or may not notice a small increase in noise. Hum and tone are all a balancing act. You could set your amp up one way, for example, and have perfect, noiseless playing. Turn up the gain though and you'll probably notice a bit of hum. It's just a constant exercise in tweaking variables, like when you're setting up a guitar for the playing action that suites you best.

Jonathan said:
    Thanks josh, all very good to know. I skimmed the article but since i don't play out it doesn't really pertain to me. now i'll try and find some stuff on proper wiring. of course i'm like two months ahead of myself. i plan and research more than i actually build.

sorry i don't get this completely but if you choose to not ground are you trading a small hum for safety? If we don't ground the strings is it safer?
  • Thanks josh, all very good to know. I skimmed the article but since i don't play out it doesn't really pertain to me. now i'll try and find some stuff on proper wiring. of course i'm like two months ahead of myself. i plan and research more than i actually build.

sorry i don't get this completely but if you choose to not ground are you trading a small hum for safety? If we don't ground the strings is it safer?
  • The article on grounding safety that I posted has to do with the ground of the building electrical system you're plugged into and not the guitar. The guitar could be perfectly grounded but if the house mains isn't then there is still the danger of shock.

Also, to my knowledge and from what I've read, most mass produced factory guitars are not properly shielded or grounded. You don't really get a good wiring job on a guitar until you pop some serious cash for something nice or take a crap guitar and completely rewire it on your own.

Jonathan said:
    so this explains why the volume knob might be needed. thanks.
    i'm planning on buying a junked electric guitar and stripping it which means the wires would most likely be safely grounded anyway, huh. but i'll probably get one with two pick-ups and i believe one is all i'll need, so then rewiring will be required. always plenty to learn.

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
    Well the pickups just get grounded back to the volume pot if you have one. If not, like if you had a couple of pickups going straight to the output jack, I'd solder one return wire of the jack lug and then the grounds from both pickups onto it.

Jonathan said:
    so is there any other way to ground the pick-up or is the bridge the only way. i'm planning on making my next four stringer electric and really don't know so much about it.

josh, i agree with crow your work is art and i often scroll through the smokehouse site for inspiration. and crow that plank guitar sounds mean. when i first saw it i was sceptical but when you started playing i was quite impressed.
  • I have built them that way. The only reason I prefer a volume on the guitar is for control during a performance. I can roll the volume up for solos, or make adjustments when changing from distortion to clean without having to fumble around.
This reply was deleted.