I am wondering if there is any online site that sells build your own cigar box.

I have a CBG project that i am planning and i need boxes of a specific size and was hoping that one of you might be able to steer me towards a resource to build my own box

thanks in advance!

Views: 2998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks.

However, i think i was not being clear.

I do not need premade cigar boxes, I would like to find an online store that sells the components to build my own box, and then from building my box, i would build a CBG

so, basically i want to take a step further back and actually build my own box before i build the box into a CBG

Well, building a box is likely going to be more expensive than buying or scrounging one and it won't technically be a 'Cigar Box'-but on the flip side you aren't limited to the size and shape of a standard box either, and you don't have to worry about working within th limitations of a pre-existing product. So what level of skill in woodworking do you possess and what kind of tools do you have? You will need to:

1) Choose the type and thickness of wood you wish to build from-this affects the stuctural strength of the box and its tone.

2) Decide what size and shape you want-remember that you are not limited to simple squares and rectangles if you are starting from scratch.

3) Decide on what kind of joints you want-simple butt joint for simplicity, dovetail or rabbeting for strength, flat gluing onto corner blocks for reinforcement...what type of glue to use, whether to just glue, clamp and set or whether to use tiny staples, nails or screws.

4) Build the box, decorate the box.

5) Decide this box isn't quite what you actually what you wanted, curse the sky blue and start over.If you're like me anyway.. :D

6) Repeat step 5 as many times as needed and then build your guitar.

There's an entire Group here at the Nation for this subject BTW-you might want to join up and pick some brains:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/group/HMRB101

Best of luck with your build-can't wait to see it!

Hi Vermapyre,

About the only difference in the boxes I build for my "box guitars" and a cigar box guitar are the artwork on the box and the fact that cigar boxes actually open. I suppose if you have a band saw it's not that difficult to cut a home-made box so that it has a lid. The difficult part would be finding the appropriate hardware like the small hinges and clasp like what cigar boxes have. I suppose a good place to start your search for such hardware would be craft supply shops (both on- and off-line). A search on Google for "jewelry box construction" might lead you to a source. But for me, the ability to open a box is not so important, and the amount of extra work it would take (not having any electric saws) is a bit prohibitive. So, all my box guitar do not open.

As far as artwork goes, the limit is your creativity. Personally, I like the look of natural wood. But, I have seen some great decoration done with wood burning tools. Some builders have "decoupaged" (sp?) their boxes by gluing on paper based images and the like. Some have reproduced graphics and pasted them on. Others have painted beautiful paintings on theirs. I'm no artist, so you won't see any of these kind of boxes coming from me. But, you can see some of these works-of-art built by other members of CBN if you look through all the Pictures on Cigar Box Nation.

If you do find a source for small hinges and clasps for small boxes, let us know. There are probably other members who would like to make a sound box that opens just like a cigar box. I second Order99's recommendation of visiting the CBN discussion group "Home Made Resonator Boxes 101, v.2.0".

-Rand.

Here's a link to an online suppliers of hinges for jewelry boxes:

Rockler -- Woodworking and Hardware

Took less than 5 minutes using Google...

-Rand.

its a box. basic woodworking skills will get you by. like mentioned above, choose your wood and decide on how you want to do the joinery and make a box

one thing i would add is think about how a normal acoustic guitar is made, they use thin materials, usually less then 1/8" thick. look into how there are made using kerfing to hold the top/bottom and sides together

dam ..  i was  just  gonna  bust  up  some cigar boxes     and sell   them  to  him as a  kit  :-D

yes, i want plain boxes, no stickers, no markings
I wish to add my own custom marking to the box
thanks for the responses both sarcastic and sincere

:-D glad you  have a sence  of  humor vermapyre   ,     it  was  just meant in  fun  ;-)

Vermapyre,

I build my own boxes from scrap wood. Find the thinnest wood you can: I managed to scrounge lots of 3/16" lauan plywood from our local theater group set teardowns. Where you are located, I bet you can find 1/8" thick birch ply quite easily. I built my boxes with a table saw to rip the lumber (but could have used a hand or power circular saw), then power and hand tools, using simple lap joints reinforced with corner posts, wood glue, and screws. Took about a week of nights after dinner to build two boxes, another coupla weeks of same to build tops, framing and joining them with hand cut notch mortise and tenon joints, more glue and screws, and found CBG mini-hinges and clasps at the local art supply store.

Don't bother looking for kits on the web; go to your local artist's supply place, and maybe a lumber yard. Beg nicely for help; offer to take off cuts and scrap.

You don't need a kit, just some 3/16" ply and strip pine of various sizes.This is one of a pair currently underway.

The corners are jointed on here but you don't need to.

For better acoustics you can use thinner solid timbers.

There are other photos of construction on my page

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->