Hello, I am making a single string diddley bow. I have a P90 pickup I am gonna use. I see some pickups mounted lengthwise on the neck,have seen a video with lengthwise pickup and it sounded good. I have seen videos with pickup going across that sounded good also. I am going for a heavy metal type sound. Which way should I mount it? Does it matter? 

Thanks

Jack

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, you would definitely want all of the magnets under the string for the maximum output? Farther away from the Bridge will give you a warmer sound & closer to the Bridge will give a brighter sound? You may want a warmer, chunkier sound if metal is your thing? Are you using a wound or plain string? Also the distortion characteristics the pickup may effect that outcome, as well as the distortion device you are using? P-90 definitely will give ya that low end chunk running thru some over saturated distortion/fuzz. Hope to see the results soon :)

• i would assume that having the string go over all of the poles instead of just 1 would give a stronger signal.easist thing to do is to try it. build a test bow but dont mount the pickup try it both ways and see which way drives the amp harder or gives you a prefered tone..

This reply was deleted.