Diatonic

Hi looking for some help on this, on my recent build of a dulcitar (3 string diatonic) I'm getting sharp notes on some of the frets e.g. on the a string it's open A, 1st fret B, 2nd fret Csharp, 3rd fret D etc. As opposed to A,B,C,D. I've now checked fret spacing more often than I can count and that's dead on...anyone out there with ideas PLEASE because I'm now stumped...!!!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 306534152?profile=original

I'm hoping this helps, a quick sketch of standard fretting next to diatonic fretting for a 1-5-8 tuning to illustrate that the notes not in the diatonic scale are left out. it's not "sharps and flats" left out, it's accidentals (notes not in the key) that are left out.

Also note the diatonic fret board has a SPLIT fret right before the octave.

If you start with all open strings (fret 0 ) as the 1st chord, the 1st fret as the 2nd chord, the 2nd fret as the 3rd chord, the the 6th fret which is the 7th chord of any key is ALWAYS a diminished chord.  (see my previous post about chords and keys).  

If you play one where this fret isn't split but has a pair of full frets you need to remember to play it like it is split anyway, or you will scratch your head wondering why these sound good but not right...

Do Ray Me Fa So La  Tae? (huh?) Teu? (huh?) { heck :-(  $%^% } Do

• That's brilliant. Thank you !
  • Yes I totally agree itsd just scale length and string gauge.. But... The diatonic fretboard is just the chromatic one with the sharp/flat notes removed right...
    So looking at the chromatic fretboard you have the second fret position translating to the first fret position on the diatonic and so on...
    But look at your 4th fret position on the chromatic. Here's your B on the G string. It's also your fsharp on the D string.
    So referring to instructions I've seen elsewhere for a diatonic fretboard leaving out the 1st, 3rd, 6th,8th etc..this appears wrong as in it works for G but not D etc. It looks like you need to be skipping 1st, 4th, 6th,8th,13th (if your having the 6+)...any advice before I start removing and recutting frets ?

• Hi all now understanding that the fretboard is fine it's was my understanding of the diatonic that was wrong. ! Thanks to all for your help on this really amazed at the amount of help and response from everyone on this.
    • Ill have to look at that, thank you !
    • ....but I could do the layout with all whole notes (plus the 6+ fret)...
      • Hi Simon,

It looks like you're pretty well set with your existing fret board, which sounds like it's set up perfectly.

Before you start down the "all whole note" path, I just want to share that a 'whole note scale' doesn't exist in almost any music. A whole note scale would mean 2 half steps (or two frets on a chromatic fret board) separating each note. You can try playing it. It sounds strange to our ears. Most immediately you'll notice that it does not contain a 4th or a 5th, which means you'll be feeling blue, but you won't be able to play it. :-)

• Ok...so all is actually fine on the build and its just my brain that's broken !
      • Yes, it's all fine.

You could also just fret one string and let the others drone. lol  Actually, I'm going to do that soon...building my own Tennessee Music Box (basically a box dulcimer).  A friend of mine plays her dulcitar like that anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeSq_LGXen0

• So my second fret on say my A string should be Csharp ? ? ?
      I'm really trying to get this right as my next build is in walnut and bog oak...
This reply was deleted.