I am going to attempt my first cbg and hopefully things go well. First off, is there an optimum size / dimensions that is desirable for the cigar box? I am hoping to some day make a couple 6 strings. And I am planning on making my own boxes. Any advice on making my own boxes? Thanks.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Will do!
  • With as many people as we have around here willing to jump in and lend a hand, you almost don't need luck. Just send us updates and lots of pictures as we all love to see what you come up with.
  • Thanks Josh. I checked out your book and I think it will be a great place to start. Wish me luck!
  • I actually cover ideal box dimensions in the book I wrote (available in the free plans section of this site).  For a six string guitar with 25.5" scale, you want between 11" and 12" minimum.
  • Thanks for the advice! I have found a cigar shop around here that will sell me boxes! Of course I will make a few of my own. I imagine that it will take a few trys till things start to work out.
  • I just started a 6 sting build and found a DON TOMAS box that is 10 1/2 x 6 and another DON TOMAS that is 10 1/2 x 8 and put them up against each other and cut out the center section of the now "big box".   It is now a 10 1/2 x 14. They even have the same yellow paper covering.  Don Tomas also has black boxes that come in these sizes

• Matt

It's a tough question and I am planning on building something similar.  I measured a Taylor 414 acoustic guitar body I had and I also measured my electric guitar body's.  For me it has to be comfortable to play and sound good.  I'm leaning towards building a body around 10" on up to 12" wide by 15" long by 3" thick. I have not decided on exact dimensions yet, but something around these dimensions.  

Most cigar box builds do not have a big acoustic sound anywhere close to a Taylor or Martin acoustic.  I do like the tone many builders get out of the small CBG's amplified though.  The best sounding cigar box style guitar I have heard used a larger box made out of solid pine (it was not a cigar box).           

This reply was deleted.