Replies

• Every make/model of tuner is a little different, I assemble the ferrule (if it has one) and hold the tuner up to the headstock and make a pencil mark for how much of the front to take off.

I try to allow for about 4 or 5 wraps of a low E-string without touching the ferrule for the tuner, or the headstock itself if it doesn't have a ferrule.  then I cut off the extra, whatever that ended up being.

• I just measured up my tuners today and it looks like I need to have the headstock thickness 5/8" for a proper fit.

Dan

• I don't use a scarf joint, so I cut mine down as well, it helps with tension on the nut and intonation. Sometimes I add a 1/4" piece to the backside of the head stock, after I've thinned the first bit.

• If you don't thin down the headstock the threaded ferrule will only be about three threads into the body,the threads on cheap tuners aren't brilliant so it will be very easy to strip those few threads when you tighten up

• This is a related question; it looks like WitchDr's question was answered.

I'm planning to install some of the sealed tuners, which have the threaded ferrule and a single screw.  Will these work with the standard 3/4" thickness of a 1x2, or will I need to thin down the headstock?  Thanks!

Making my first CBG (other than from a kit which started this whole obsession for me!) and will try to post pictures when finished.

• Thanks to all for the comments!  I posted elsewhere, but wanted to share here as well.

I left the headstock at 3/4", but counterbored a 5/8"DIA by 3/16" deep M/L to thin the headstock right at the tuners. I used a forstner bit in a hand drill to accomplish this. Seems to have worked, and left more strength in the headstock.  Posted pictures of this first build on my page.

306252292?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024306254012?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Thanks for these pics; this is exactly what I was picturing and will implement on my next build!

Peace,

Rob

• I thin down the headstock to a little less than 5/8".  closer to 1/2" and the ferrule is too long...  

• when the threaded ferril is all the way in your tuner...measure the size from the inside of the tuner too the last thread on you ferril...and add an 1/8"....that's my method....that's if ya follow what I'm trying to explain :)

• Standard sealed tuners will work down to half an inch thickness but the threaded sleeves will have to be cut back about x2 threads to fit tightly, done it dozens of times without a problem (-:

This reply was deleted.