i recently started a discussion on a humming noise when i put a volume pot in with a piezo.i tried putting extra ground wires everywere and it will not go away.the volume knob works more like an on-off switch.it will not hum when its completely turned down or when it is turn all the way up.but anywere in between it adjusts the volume but has a hum.help,i already suck at electronics and this is driving me crazy!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello , Its possible you overheated the pot when you soldered the ground on the back. Remember to tin the ends of the wire. Then put a small spot on the back of the pot, this should only take about 2 seconds of contact with your solder gun. Then solder the tined wire to the blob on the pot. Good Luck.
  • I'm not good at wiring either, but one of my piezo bare wires(the center wire) was touching the metal of the edge of the piezo and caused problems- hope this helps.

Wade
  • Maybe rule out a bad potentiometer?? You got another one to try?
  • -Did you put a piece of metal where the strings go thru the body and run a ground wire to that?
    -Did you try it without the pot and see if it still hums?

Do these and let us know.

Matt
  • Do you have a multi meter to test continuity with? If you do, plant one of the connectors on one of your ground joints, and move the other to every other possible ground point -- including the tip on the instrument cable -- and see if they're all connection.

I'm not sure how that would be accomplished without a multi meter, though...
This reply was deleted.