Newby needs some help.  I've done a couple of guitars with red oak necks & fretboards.  I've stained the necks then poly coats.  Have only stained the fretboards.

Now, I've got a neck almost complete.  It's maple with a walnut fretboard.  The frets are installed already (probably a mistake).

I'm thinking Danish Oil on both first to set deep in the wood.  Then something extra on the maple neck only for a satin finish, maybe poly?

I like the idea of the danish oil's finish soaking into the wood.....Looking for ideas from more experienced builders.  I like the raw colors and the natural tints of the woods so I'd like to enhance the grain but I'm not looking to darken the woods.  What would you do and why?  

Fretboard:  Lemon oil, Olive oil, Danish oil, Tung oil, tru oil?

Maple Neck:  Danish oil with poly coat, Tung oil buffed a little, tru oil?

Thanks!

Al

Views: 2247

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good advice on the safety issues John. I always soak the paper towels I use in water , then spread them out away from any combustibles and let them "dry out" before ever putting them in a trash can.

+1 for the Danish oil for me.

So far on my fretboards I have only used Lemon Oil. However, they say NOT to use lemon oil on maple. For a nice finish, I like using the Tung oil. Formsbee makes a nice solid coating, and brings the grain out nicely.

I have been very happy with Tru Oil.  Multiple coats with a steelwool rub down between each coat.

Danish oil for me, 2 or 3 coats leaves the neck so silky smooth.....

I have had very good luck with Tru Oil on the necks and it's very easy to apply. You can build up as many coats as you like then use #0000 steelwool to take it to a satin finish if you don't like glossy. You can even use it on the box. On the fretboards I have been using ColorTone Fretboard Finishing Oil from Stew-Mac. It's $15 a bottle but a little goes a long way so the bottle should last forever. On the next few builds I'm going to try Danish Oil on the necks to see how I like that.  

You gonna love this little bit if temporary insanity. I had a top to an entertainment armoire, (back when a TV would fit in such stuff), I had shot a last topcoat  (lacquer). I was trying to get in a box and gone so I hauled it outside in the sun. Everybody put this on your  "Don't Try It." list. I had bubbles going big time in minutes. LOL It is funny now, but it was a living at the time.

I tape off the fret board and use Minwax high gloss varnish on the rest of the guitar. I start with it thinned half and half with mineral spirits. Then after a couple of coats I up the concentration to 2/3 varnish 1/3 spirits.

When I am done with that, I uncover the fret board and give it about five coats of mineral oil AKA baby oil. It works well, it,is easymto renew later. Just clean lightly woth a mr eraser just damp, dry and give more coats.

Last go round, I picked up the fast dry mixture by accident. I like the minway fast dry even better than the standrd. It levels right out when applying. I use a cheap rubber brush to apply and then just throw,it away.

OK.  2 follow ups.....

1-I'm going to install frets first, then apply Danish oil.  Is this the order y'all go in?

2-For 0000 steel wool, are y'all using real steel wool or synthetic?

Al

I use old English lemon dark or light gives me the color I like. neck fret board and box all get a few coats over time

Hi all, I'm also a newby here. Interesting to learn about the spontaneous combustion of the linseed oil rags. I used to use it on most of my wooden creations, never had a problem with the rags bursting into flames, maybe they use a different formula these days? It was called Raw Linseed Oil in those days (I'm 73) and it was my favorite wood preserver. Wished I remembered it when doing my first guitar build.

Be wary! It's the "mineral spirits" that give off heat when they evaporate--unlike water, which cools when it evaporates. Bunch your old rags into a tight bundle and the heat can ignite the mineral spirits (and oil) that remains on the rag. More than one new home has been burned to the ground by an incompetent painter piling rags on the floor.

The federally mandated "fix" of putting in water in a sealed container and disposing as a hazardous chemical is awfully complicated. Personally, I spread the rags on a concrete slab or hang them on a metal chain-link fence until they are completely dry. Then they're safe to toss.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

"i See Your ready to Blow away the GRAND STADIUM ! tree strings more of DAR DELIGHT !! Shine Girl !…"
5 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you for the kind comments Doug! Glad you liked the Picture !"
5 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
10 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
10 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
12 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
12 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
14 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
14 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
15 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
16 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->