D Minor open tune

My friend would like a 3 string fretless CBG that is tuned to open D Minor.

Not being a musician and being a relative newby to building 3 string fretless CBGs, I said "I have no clue how to do that".

So, here i am.

Is there such a thing? What strings would I use?

Thanks in advance,

Mel

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Piano Chord for Dm is D-F-A, so a 3 string using D-G-B strings would just tune the G & B strings down to F & A to get D-F-A.

• Dm 1-3b-5 = D-F-A
    Fretless Slide = a little more tension check Google for string tension chart and decide what octave you want or how much base. (typically dgb of heavy 6 string if we're talking steel electric vs. acoustic phosphor bronze)
    Strings depending on scale will be pulled from a set or you can find individual strings in many places. sometimes I use mbg guitars. ( disclaimer I'm a newbie)
  • Mel, I've used these strings tuned DGB, but CB Gitty sells as DF#A. Maybe downtune the F# to F. unsure if the gauges give the string tension you're looking for. There's nickel wound for electric and bronze for acoustic
    Electric "Medium" 3-String Cigar Box Guitar Strings - Open D - D F# A
    SKU:34-011-01UPC:608866408734MPN:34-011-01
    $4.49
    #1 - .030" Nickel Wound
    #2 - .022" Nickel Wound
    #3 - .014" Plain Steel

Acoustic Medium 3-String Cigar Box Guitar Strings - Open D Tuning - D F# A
    SKU:34-002-01UPC:610074051398MPN:34-002-01
    On Sale
    NOW:
    $2.99
    #1 - .034" Bronze Wound
    #2 - .026" Bronze Wound
    #3 - .017" Plain Steel

Regards,
    Bill

• Korrigan, thanks for this info. Much appreciated.

I was just looking on CB Gitty and don't see a set of strings with those parameters. Do you have a source for a set like this?

• Visit your local music store and check out their selection of single strings or you can order single strings online from places like JustStrings or StringJoy.

• 25" scale played with a slide

Thanks!

• Playing with slide you're going to want more tension than you'd get just using the A D and G of a standard guitar set. For low tuning (A2 D3 F3) use 42 30 26 or, for high tuning (A3 D4 F4), use 20w(or 19p) 14 12. These will give you about 25lbs of tension per string.

• Mel, type your reply as usual, then click on the HTML Editor, then click Add Reply. Your reply should go through, this method has been foolproof for me ever since the glitch started? Use the  method with posting pics too? Cheers 

• Mel, do this every time you post, our site is old, glitchy & temperamental  :)

10110014864?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I’ve done that ADF tuning before using a 23” & 25” scale with the A(5) D(4) G(3) strings from a D’addario EXL110 nickel wound set, with much success? A 4 stringer captures more gloom of the minor sound, especially on a tenor guitar? Good luck on this

This reply was deleted.