I bought a bunch of boxes the other day and it was only when I was using a spade bit to cut a sound hole in the top of one that I realized it was pressboard and not the plywood I expected.  The hole came out a little wonky but no matter, the guitar plays just fine.

I went to inspect a few of the other boxes and discovered many of them have pressboard tops too.  I was planning to make a few acoustics with fancy cut f-holes using a hand coping saw and my Dremel router bit.  That an be challenging even when working with a nice material.  Is it even possible to cut pressboard cleanly with these tools?  Should I consider different tools?  Or just not even bother?

I can always flip them upside down so the wood bottom becomes the sound board.

Thanks,

Scott

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3649061144?profile=RESIZE_710xSo I traced my pickup on the box top and went to work with my Dremel rotary saw bit. I cut the paper with a utility knife to help keep it clean. On low speed it cut nicely and was pretty easy to keep control once I got the feel for it.  I undercut a bit and then used a file and sandpaper to finish up.  Aside from a small error on one edge, a very clean result. 

• Those rotary bits are the tools to have for this. If the booboo doesn't show up too much fine(It has Character) or you can get one of those pickup surrounds that Gitty sells.

• Looks good from my house. Nice job.

• Plywood tops can splinter too so the methods described by others are a good habit to get into using. I use painters tape and templates sized to fit each lid on both sides and score each design before cutting, leaving  virtually no tear out regardless of top material.

• Yes, good work habits make all outcomes better.  

•  Hi, I cut mine as described in this thread. Draw the outline rom a template of the desired hole shape, scribe with an exacto knife, drill suitable size holes at the junction of any two lines where they intersect [aids in turning the blade cleanly and easily] cut just inside the line with my fretsaw. I then sand the sawn surface and slightly bevel the outside edge to give the paper a clean look, and in the case of the soundhole in the photo, blacken the inside edges.

3525634165?profile=RESIZE_710x

Regarding replacing the top / lid of a cigar box. Doing that I know can improve the sound of a guitar when using a less that ideal cigar box, but one could also photocopy the lid, print it out on paper of choice and paste it to the new lid. Thus getting a better sounding box with the same looks as the original.

Taff

• Great idea Taff.

• Excellent tips.  

Still, way too much work.  Next time I’ll just buy better boxes!

• Hi again, it all depends on the reasons different folks take up this creative pastime. Some to make money, some to have something cheap to play or as a gift for somebody, and some (like me) it's all of the above.

Its a chance for me to keep the grey matter working, creating and solving, designing and experimenting. I don't think about If tasks are quick or slow or hard or easy.......well I'm not real keen on easy.

l believe you get back what you put in.

Taff

• Very true my friend.  I guess this somewhat speaks to my bias here: I bought the boxes to have some quicker, easier builds than the last few where I built the boxes myself. As with many things in life, patience and persistence can always yield good results. 

This reply was deleted.