cutting notches

whats a good tool or power tool for cutting the notches in the box for nice clean edges? i used an old coping saw and backsaw but i'm not happy with the cuts that were made.cutting staright down is ok, it's when i have to cut across where i am having the problems.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have summer teeth.

summer there... summer gone.

;)
  • Some of us cant afford to use our teeth!
    Do you know how much a replacement plate costs now days? haaaaaaaaaaa
  • I have used a coping saw, razor knife,and about everything in between I think.
    Because I build in numbers instead of 1 at a time I settled on a Dremel with a fine cutting wheel.
    You have to be careful so the Dremel doesnt slip but its much faster ( at least for me) and you get a clean cut .
    I cut just short of the corners and then use a razor knife to finish out the cut.
    Then touch up with a file.
    It works for me and is much faster.
    I have to build anywhere between 6 and 10 or 12 a week so I dont have time to mess around with methods that dont work well for me.
    I tend to build necks in numbers, then install the tuners all at the same time so I have a number of necks ready for the boxes.
    Then decide which boxes will go with which necks,add re enforcement to boxes I think might need it and then install each neck,add the string or strings and its ready for a buyer.'
  • I've been cutting all the way to the bottom of the box which makes things a bit easier. Then I just score and tap the piece out. A few small drill holes and a good way of holding the box still while cutting might help.
  • I use a gentlemans saw after cutting the outline with a sharpie, to minimise the damage. Alternatively you could use a hacksaw with a finer set of teeth. I place as many cuts vertically as I can and then use a small chisel to chip out the little pieces.
    Regards
This reply was deleted.