Hello everyone. I have a question about cutting sound holes in thin sheet metal.
I'm building a 4stringer with a nice 11"x8" or so metal box I want to cut a sound hole in the lid with out destroying it or cutting my hands up. So rather than just fire up my hole saw, I thought I'd better ask for help.

This is my first build using metal. I usually use wood.
Any advice, help, war stories etc. Welcome.

BlAck...aka Ron H

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for all the help.  I ended up using a hole saw in my battery powered hand drill.

Took it slow...worked fine. Didn't cut my finger until after it was done. I was checking to see how smooth it was..smooth and SHARP now I have to split some tubing and cover the edge of the hole.

•  I have used sharpened hole punches with scrap wood underneath.

Works fine.

• 12-gauge steel shot will make it look like a nice old resonator...
  • Here's something I've seen HVAC folks use and is on my list of tools to get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHEET-METAL-CIRCLE-HOLE-CUTTER-DRILL-ADJUST...

• Thank you one and all I now have a general Idea how to proceed.

I really appreciate your replies.

Ron H

• What darryl said: Step Drill... unless you're looking for >1.25" or so...

Hole saw will work, but clamp the metal (securely) to a piece of wood, clamp the pair to your drill press base... if it were to catch, you could lose a finger...  or worse...

The hole saw will leave a terrible edge, but that's what files are for.

Punches work great, but they're not cheap.

• The biggest problem drilling thin metal with a 118 deg drill tip is tear out, so make sure you drill through the tin and a backing board together, a good option for tin is a step drill, as it's less aggressive fluting is less likely to tear

• This guitar was built using a hacksaw, a scroll saw, and a nibbler.  It started off as server cases.306582961?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This reply was deleted.