Replies

• Aren't some of you guys taking the lid off the boxes now and using a scroll saw to make all of the cuts?
  • I have cut hole with a jig-saw but I always use a metal cutting blade because of the extra small teeth. Seems to keep the wood from splintering as much. If it's available, the best tool is a scroll saw.
  • I drill hole at the ends just big enough to fit a small blade through, then use a jig saw to do most of the cuts, then coping saw/files/sandpaper to finish up. Not easy but a lot easier that just the coping saw I think. I cover the foot of the saw with cardboard first so it does not mar the box finish.

• 306479758?profile=original

I like to use a ,I believe you call it a FRETSAW for my F holes it does the job in all angles clean and strait cut.
    dril and file and sandpaper to complete the task. the little screw everywhere table is handy to gives your box support and
    if nessesary clamp down.fast and easy GOOD LUCK !! Greeeeeetttsssszzzz   A.D.

• Draw round a template and then maybe drill a small hole in the middle, then maybe use a jigsaw
  • I use F-holes all the time, Since I like a couple of different styles, my goal was to come up with a process that is repeatable 

First I make a template out of 1/8" material. Then I use a carbide grout bit (or zip bit) in my Dremel with the router base. I set it up so that the straight shaft extends past the base (to provide a bearing surface to follow the template). I would prefer an actual bearing but they just don't make them small enough for my designs. Where needed I use a small triangular file to sharpen the corners. 

I take my time and pay attention to the alignment of the template, and I get good results. I found that marking where the template lines up at the top and side allows me to use the same temple for the bass and treble side of the instrument. (I just flip it over and reclamp it in place) I also set the box on bench cookies to allow for the clamps.  As all of the responses to you question illustrate there are usually a number of ways to do a task, this is just how I do it.  Good luck 305731208?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024305732351?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Eventually, I noticed there was a musical instrument surrounding your f-hole. I'm curious about your fret markers. Could you describe them?

Andy Estabrooks said:

Visually engineered maybe.

MichaelS said:
    Is that sound hole accusticly engineered?

Andy Estabrooks said:
    I'm a Dremel, knife and file guy. Rifler files are great on the curves! Coping saws are too painful for me.
  • Visually engineered maybe.

MichaelS said:
    Is that sound hole accusticly engineered?

Andy Estabrooks said:
    I'm a Dremel, knife and file guy. Rifler files are great on the curves! Coping saws are too painful for me.
  • I've also cut the ends with a drill and the rest with a very sharp razor blade and lots of patience, of course.
  • Is that sound hole accusticly engineered?

Andy Estabrooks said:
This reply was deleted.