I recently completed a 3 stringer, and I cut the slot in the nut for the middle string just a hair too deep.  When I play the string open, there's a slight buzzing against the first fret.

I know the right thing to do is to cut a new nut, but was wondering if there is any way to backfill the slot to slightly raise the string?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It would but you'd end up wasting a nut.  If it's made of something cheap like scrap wood or plastic its not so bad but if you have something nice on there like bone or horn it kind of hurts to trash it.

Monte said:
    Would making a new nut made the same amount taller then the over cut is solve the problem?
  • Would making a new nut made the same amount taller then the over cut is solve the problem?
  • One other way I have used is to shim the nut and recut the other slots.

• I've had to do this once or twice - worked well for me. :)

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:

I did this once before.  I put masking tape on both sides of the nut (think like a concrete form) and then filled the slot with two part epoxy.  Sets up nice and hard.  Came back to it an hour later and recut the slot.  Worked nice and you couldn't tell it had been done looking closely at it.
  • I did this once before.  I put masking tape on both sides of the nut (think like a concrete form) and then filled the slot with two part epoxy.  Sets up nice and hard.  Came back to it an hour later and recut the slot.  Worked nice and you couldn't tell it had been done looking closely at it.
  • How bout just turning the nut over and cutting new string grooves?
  • I have also made the string groove wider and inlayed a bone insert then recut the groove. But on a plastic nut I like the super glue and soda fix. Also I have used a little slive of paper super glued in, at times this has worked best..
  • Yep, bone dust or baking soda and super glue is what I've done. It's not as good as an unadulterated bone nut though... it can creak sometimes.
  • I use bone nuts almost exclusively, and they can be adjusted with bone dust and superglue.  The "gel" superglue seems to work well.
  • Thanks everybody, especially Mike.  I tried the super glue and baking soda, and it's much improved.  I may try another layer to remove the minimal buzz that's left.

Good tip, as well as the others. I can always count on the Nation.  Happy Holidays to everybody.

This reply was deleted.