Has anyone tried to make a convertible fingerboard/neck? I'm thinking of using a 3/16" fretboard which could be clipped to the neck with small rare-earth magnets.This would allow fretted playing and aggressive slide playing on the same guitar. Any thoughts?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree with the benefits of practice vs. theorizing. I love the building process and prefer to spend as much time as possible with my feet in sawdust rather than in front of the drawing board, but during the time I can't spend in the shop I tend to let my mind wander over the possibilities. Once the saws come out, I'll most likely stick to a more standard design, but I can't stop the brain from mulling over this sort of thing. Oh well...
  • I think there comes a point where you can plan and theorise too much..then it's time to build, and work it out for real. After building over 250 guitars, I can now think, "I'll build a guitar tomorrow", and I don't get too concerned about things. For a simple guitar I mean I'll actually build it, all in one day, finished and playable. This isn't swagger, it's just to convey the idea that with sufficient application you can get things done quickly, and get your ideas tested by making something for real.

I'll have identified in my head the problem areas, maybe done a quick sketch to check where the bridge will be placed and where the neck /body joint happens, then go to it with the tools. On the simplest of instruments there's no drawings, just a piece of wood and an idea. The more you work like this, the more confident you'll get, and the more you'll get a sense of whether something is feasible or within your capabilities.

Don't dream it - make it!!
  • I encourage your experimentation, but it seems a little gimmicky to me. Just like fold up travel guitars. A 3/4 size works fine for me. Many times these added feature jeopardize the function of the instrument. For me, quality CBG building is what I find most desirable; ease of playability, perfect intonation, stays in tune, tone and volume. Asethetics are nice, but functional form is key. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.
  • Why not just build 2??

You could reinforce the neck with a metal T-bar or square rod (like old martins) and put the magnet's in the fretboard. that should stop warping a little and make a nice base for your magnets to stick to.

If you cut the slot in the neck where the rodd goes and make it a little deeper than it needs to be, put in the rodd and make a filler-strip so its level with the face of the neck and glue that strip to the back of the fretboard you'd have a nice anker to keep your fretboard from sliding around. Insert the magnets in the filler strip attatched to the fretboard and presto, your system works!

You would have a little gully in your neck when you take the fretboard of for slide playing but at least when you put it back on your intonation will be correct.
  • Steal away...in the meantime I've got to sell a couple guitars and make a bit of cash for some aluminum, and maybe a tube of 2P-10 glue to hold it all together. If anyone tries it out, let me know how it goes.

Bluesheart said:
    I hear what folks are saying about magnets/sliding/warping etc, but It sure seems like a great idea. I have toyed with the idea of changeable fretboards myself, maybe standard and dulcimer or some kind of minor mode. Sure looks worth exploring to me. I think your idea of strong/small magnets is brilliant! if the steel insert in the fret board could be shaped right, they would help w/warping? Some sort of pocket or latch for board to slide into would cure the magnet slip potential. I say go for it, or turn your head while I steal your plans! ;-0
  • I hear what folks are saying about magnets/sliding/warping etc, but It sure seems like a great idea. I have toyed with the idea of changeable fretboards myself, maybe standard and dulcimer or some kind of minor mode. Sure looks worth exploring to me. I think your idea of strong/small magnets is brilliant! if the steel insert in the fret board could be shaped right, they would help w/warping? Some sort of pocket or latch for board to slide into would cure the magnet slip potential. I say go for it, or turn your head while I steal your plans! ;-0
  • Just get a nut extender. Magnets will slide and result in sharp/flat notes.
  • I'm working on build #7, #8 and #9 right now...this neck was a thought for #10. I've done "real" fretted, nail frets, toothpick frets, fretless, diatonic. I figure very garage needs a convertible, right?
  • Hey all,
    Seeing as CBG's are so inexpensive to make why not just make 2? One fretted and the other fretless?
  • With some form of neck reinforcement (either laminated out of multiple pieces, or a truss rod of some sort) and good mechanical attachment of the fretboard I imagine it could be done successfully. Just have to get extra creative and keep thinking outside the box to find a solution that works for your ideas :)
This reply was deleted.