I have a piece of walnut (dark)...I don't want to fret the guitar as it's a slide only version. How can I contrast fret lines against the dark walnut wood The guitar is like a lap steel guitar. Don't want to bleach... I was thinking white paint but that sounds not so great...hmm Any thoughts. Thank you

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great suggestions here-maybe Popsicle sticks or matchsticks? Another solution maybe laying superglue in the kerf and sprinkling light saw dust into the fret area.
    • That's interesting also...
      What about white wood filler..didn't even realize they made this color?
      Seems like the actual wood pieces might yield better results though
  • I used 1/8 maple strips set into shallow saw cuts. Sand tongue oil and enjoy.

image.jpg

• Daryl, that looks great.

• Thanks Jim. I watched some youtube vids to figure out how to do it. It was my first attempt at in-laying.

image.jpg

• Wow...how did you cut those maple strips so even at first?
      • I planed a piece of maple to 1/8 thickness and then set a guide up and made strips with a bandsaw. 1/8'is the kerf of my tablesaw.
  • I am making up some walnut necks also.  Since I am using round toothpicks in 1/16 in holes at the fret line for side marks, maybe another just around the corner on the front for the marked frets and similar marks on the other side of the front for the other fret locations. 

Other plan is to cut fret slots and fill with maple or cherry  sliver flush with fretboard.

This reply was deleted.