I made my first CBG and was surprised at how well it sounded acoustically. Not loud, but good tone. I put in a traditional piezo. And it got that nice twang to it. 

I decided to experiment to see if I could get a mic with a better frequency response so I went to Radio Shack and bought one of their condenser Mic elements for about $2.50 to put in my next CBG.

A condenser mic, of course, needs a power supply and one can usually get by with a battery wired in series with the mic.  But I decided to wire up a slightly more sophisticated circuit that could be used with any amp. I found a great discussion of the mics, and digrams here:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html

The circuit I used looks like this:
                                  10 uF
+ | |
+---------------------+--------| |--------------> to amplifier
| | | |
| (positive lead) |
| +----------/\/\/\---------+
MIC 2.2 kohm |
| | +
| (ground lead) (-) -------
| (battery 9v or so) ---
| |
| |
+-----------------------------------------------+----> ground

The sound is great. All the fullness of the acoustic sound but louder.
I wired a volume pot in series with the output and a mini-switch to
the battery lead so that the battery won't run down if I leave the
guitar plugged in. I used a 9v battery but the mic is so hot that a
couple AAs might be a better choice.

Mark

detail a.JPG

leon b.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very cool! I always wanted to try one of those in an acoustic. I think I remember seeing that circuit back in the RMMGA days.
  • Thanks for the writeup -- looks like a cool idea. FWIW, you can use the "camera" icon to inline the images:

305681741?profile=original

download?id=2592684%3AUploadedFi38%3A350988

• I bet it sound great. I was wondering if a small mic would not be a better choice than a piezo. Great work and thanks for the info.
  • Thanks for the info Mark..I'll have to give these a try at some point.......Also is the mic on the inside like I've seen with some?...Mike

Mark Reaney said:
    Not much feedback. I mounted the little PC board beneath the center board with a small piece of velcro so that I could move it around and experiment with the orientation of the mic. Seems to work best when it is pointed down towards the floor....Mark

Michael R Cossey said:
    Is there much feedback to these? I've seen some add on controls that have Piezo, condenser and mag all in one......Mike
  • Not much feedback. I mounted the little PC board beneath the center board with a small piece of velcro so that I could move it around and experiment with the orientation of the mic. Seems to work best when it is pointed down towards the floor....Mark

Michael R Cossey said:
    Is there much feedback to these? I've seen some add on controls that have Piezo, condenser and mag all in one......Mike
  • Is there much feedback to these? I've seen some add on controls that have Piezo, condenser and mag all in one......Mike
  • Wow. Totally new idea to me. Would love to hear what it sounds like. Not much more difficult than a basic piezo.
This reply was deleted.