Hi, I have started collecting more timber for more builds....after the storm.

I should get a few builds like these out of it after processing the timber, the straight stuff anyway. These are fence palings too. When thinned to 2-3mm it sounds pretty good.

Cheers Taff

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, Tim is right on the money regarding my treated pine.

Twenty years protection you say Tim, hmmm the termites in my neighborhood couldn't wait that long. That's why I'm replacing it with steel.

Taff

• by treated i think Taff means CCA treated. most pine for fencing in Australia is treated to H3 standard to last 20 years on or in the ground. Also to stop the termites eating your fence...lol

• "Grain orientation - a hardwood fingerboard - and a hardwood fillet inlaid into the neck, a la truss rod. What do you think?"

Great idea!  

So glad my dad has a table saw.  :)

• I’m sure it changed density baking in the elements, probably made it harder? Most of the radiata over here is interior grade stuff like long planks & plywood & even pre-primed planks? There’s a ton of radiata in Northern California since it originated from Monterrey which is a few hours away from where I live? The fir they sell in big box stores is softer than the radiata, they also sell Japanese pine here, which is harder,but it’s pricey & the grain is beautiful.

• Hi Brian Q, the fence timber I've used so far is Radiata pine from around my veranda. This new lot is pine also, but its been treated so I have to be careful how I work it.

I reckon that pine and other softer woods can work for a neck, if that's all you have, if certain guidelines are followed, namely...
    Grain orientation - a hardwood fingerboard - and a hardwood fillet inlaid into the neck, a la truss rod. What do you think?

I tried the above on a 3 stringer as an experiment and it is still straight and not twisted. But then not woods are created equal.
    Taff

• What kind of wood? They use softwoods like White Fir, Incense Cedar & Redwood in the states, not the greatest for necks? I saw a fell branch from an olive tree 3 weeks ago, but some odd got by the time I came back with a truck!!

This reply was deleted.