I'm fascinated by acoustic properties.  If it makes a sound, I'm interested.  So when the news came across my Facebook timeline that an inventor made a guitar amp that increases sound levels of an electric guitar by 12 decibels...without using electricity, I went crazy!

Canadian company, DelSonix has just introduced a "speaker," known as the SD28, that is made of a hollow wooden pickup with a bottom-resonating cavity.  The contraption is clamped to the guitar's headstock. It picks up the instrument's vibrations, while a resonator projects the sound.

In a way, it's similar to a Victrola record machine, taking acoustic vibrations and amplifying them through a wooden tube and out into a cone.

DelSonix says the invention works with all electric guitars and basses (hmm...cigar box guitars?) and can increase loudness from 6 to 12dB, depending on guitar design. By rotating the resonator, guitarists can project the sound in specific directions, while the entire device rolls up into a 1-inch tube for storage.

The SD28 is available now. It costs $34 CAN ($24 U.S.) and ships to Canada, U.S., Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, all interesting. Is it the wall or door you hear resonating, or the fact that due to extra mass added to the peghead/neck the strings at the box end are driving the soundboard more efficiently, so more volume? 

Just athought. Taff

• More properly called a horn. It increases volume through impedance matching.
  • Proud to see that here on the ultimate do it yourself instrument forum everyone's picking this as a doable DIY project. $35 for a plastic cone, a stick and a clamp. With flaws. The stick wastes energy. The clamp itself will also take energy away from the cone. But I guess neither can be helped. No stick and a much smaller clamp would be improvements. 

Turtlehead, you might get move volume with a single piece of wood instead of a box. And a much smaller clamp. No paper and shave end ends down as thin as possible. Omni directional so it wont be aimed right at you. 

I get more volume out of mine by putting the headstock against a wall. : )

• Yep Cause, could do much better than just the box I'm sure - I use an old hollow core door for a work table sometimes and get a big sound when I'm stringing up a new guitar.  Hopefully Oily or somebody else will incorporate this into a new build and get some good results.  Happy experimenting y'all!

• Also check out the Stroh violin for a similar sort of thing.

th?&id=OIP.Mba48d51c31f6cba731475c72b6a544f7o0&w=217&h=299&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

• This reminds me of a story Les Paul told about when He was a kid. He used a old Victrola needle and embedded it in his acoustic guitar bridge, then attached wires to the Victrola horn. He got the idea from the windows rattling when a train rolled down the tracks near his home.

• The quick and dirty cigar box version - got a couple dB out of it ;)

306516658?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• OK, turtle, you and I need to have a private chat ;-).

What you've done is clamp essentially a Helmholtz resonator to your headstock. Shaping the dimensions of the box will result in specific frequency range reinforcement. Been doing a lot of reading on folded horns, Voight pipes, and transmission line speaker enclosures for passive sound reinforcement.
      • ;) Oily.  Interested to see and hear what you come up with. 

• Hmmm. Easy peasy, methinks. Relatively narrow wood hollow sound post (can build from available thin scrap, check), a longish pan head screw with a wing nut (yep, got a few in the tool box), and for the plastic horn, either 1) a folded transparency sheet (got some old ones somewhere around here), bit of Scotch tape to close the horn, or 2) a plastic kitchen funnel (several sizes and colors available), Super glued into a small hole drilled into your wooden hollow tube, or even cheaper, 3) a plastic milk jug or 2L soda bottle, with the cap screwed on. You cut the bottle in half to form a horn, and drill a small hole in the cap. The screw fits through the hole, and the wing nut tightens it all up. Then some way, like a clamp, maybe from the shop, or a plastic clothespin, to attach it to the headstock...

Piece o' cake. I can build all of these tomorrow afternoon for under $10.

But wait 'til you hear what can be done with a radical CBG design I came up with while building three variations on an electric guitar amplifier plywood passive DIY Sound Enhancer (of which I need to post pics and video files).

Muahahahahaha...
This reply was deleted.