Replies

• Hi..made a uke from a clear acrylic topped box...looks cool, tho' a bit quiet.

IMG_5323-1.JPG

• LOL...that is AWESOME!  Thanks for sharing it with me!

• try painting the back with ur choice of color or frost it.

• ive seen  quite a few acrylic lid   cbgs  ..  i  myself   have  built   a whole  acrylic guitar  ,

using  a  clear   "crystal cut "  acrylic  tissue  box   cover   and   a  high end clear    towel    rack  pole.  

acrylic does   hold sound surprisingly  well  ,,  depending  on   its quality      / thickness  ,,  etc  ..  also  depending   on  how  it  is  amped  .  a  piezo  may need  some  sweet spot  hunting     and varied results  ,  where a  mag   pickup  it wouldn't really  matter , it  will  sound like  a regular electric. .  but ;

if you  have ever  played a store bought  acrylic  bodied  guitar  ..    you   will  know they   have super sustain  .

plus   they  just  look     dam cool  ;-)

i say  string her   up  .

if you need  to  cut   into it  , or  drill ,  be careful  for  cracking  . depending on the type  of  acrylic, it  may  be wise  to  heat   up a  drill bit  on  the stove /  torch    using  vice grips to  hold  it  .. then  just   push the  hot     bit through  the  acrylic ,  instead of "drilling"   .    (i  heated    up a hole cutter   to   make  the  hole  for  my  pole  neck  ,  and just pushed it through.)  .

good luck  ..  :-D 

• Thanks!  I'll do it...when I get it done, I'll post pics.  I have to finish the aluminum one I started this weekend first.  My husband was polishing it for me and it flew off the work bench and dinged a corner and broke a little weld...so...he's got to weld on it again tonight.  Going to put a mirror finish on it...Will be a pretty one...sounds like a bell when you tap on it...

• Plastic can work great. Go for it
  • wood,tin,steel.....it`s just going to sound different ;)

I`d certainly give it a go, you may get a big suprise and we`ll all be after one ;)

• Plastic-y?  If you tap on it, that should give some indication if it's worth stringing up.

This reply was deleted.