Replies

• Make a CBG but keep it simple and please don't try to do anything to tidy up or refinish the box in any way it looks great the way it is.

• would never refinish or do anything to the box want to keep it as simple as i can old school so speak of the period

• Just think that cool old box has waited over a hundred years to become an instrument!

• Nice box, it needs to become a guitar. I would take the structural integrity of the box into consideration too, since it is an old box, and it may be prone to falling apart. I would think about doing some bracing internally. Just a thought...

• Good point Dan,

I have built some stuff from these old boxes, and I always either disassemble the boxes and reglue/rebuild them or even if they seem solid, brace the corners on the inside. The original glue joints are likely loose and failing if they are like mine.

• The box definatly needs at the least reglued and some bracing. the top is off and the bottom is weak

• There are collectors of cigar box's and some do have a money value. You could look into it and maybe its worth more than you paid. If so sell it and buy more. But... value is in the eye of the beholder, and you are beholding it. Make a cbg if you want, it should be cool. 

• Go for it, take your time and you will be fine.

• How much did you pay for it? If it was at a flea market, then its historical value is probably pretty low.  What else were you gonnna do with it? Store cigars in it?

I say, build away.

• i only paid $18 looked up the tax stamp its from 1860 to 1870 im sure not much historic value to it

305787066?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This reply was deleted.