I found this cigar mold and immediately thought to use it for a couple of lap steel guitars.  The mold is about 22" x 4", pretty dried out.  I thought about just mounting one side to a board and setting up the nut and bridge, but one side has cool markings that I would like to keep exposed.  How would I mount a headstock to this?  Also a short tail stock, but that is a simple block I think.  Also what is the best way to clean it up without hurting anything?  Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• that works  ;-)

• that is Beautiful

• Lap steel with its own lid/cover/box.

I wouldn't separate the two pieces.

That's a really cool find there. I'm slightly envious in a huge way :)

I'm with JL on the cleaning. Don't! I would be careful to keep its looks as it is.

Edit, caught out with an older post. :)
    Turned out nice man.
  • Thought it would be good to post the outcome of this - but first thanks for the input! Now I have to learn how to play the dang thing.

306581482?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

306582138?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

•  Kigar I like everything about this bar the pickup ,you've done a really good job with the mold . interesting and quirky..

• Finally got mine finished(ish) this is how it turned out the build was pretty simple after I got all the Bits together. Bone nut,single coil pick up and a bridge from an old wine box with a piece of fret wire and a piece of bass stock for a tailpiece

IMG_0153.JPG

• Cool! Did you cut the two long slots? I like how it gives a layered look. And totally agree, mine was also easy to put together once I decided the layout.
        • Thanks, no the slots were already there the mould is made like that , three lng pieces with spacers , the bottom one is the same.
          What's wrong with the pickup, is it the colour cos I've got a black cover that I can easily change
          • Changed it a bit now , comments?

IMG_0157.JPG

• A bit? I'd say a lot! It depends on what's in the flask - haha. Looks good, interesting take on a lap steel. I think the extra pieces and colors soften the white pickup too.
This reply was deleted.