Having built a few standard CBG's and Strummersticks (almost all 3-strings tuned GDg),, I'm intrigued by the idea of a mountain dulcimer.    I'm guessing the lap-style would be to reverse the high-to-low strings and tuning dd-A-D (the twin dd melody strings being at the 'top' of the fretboard, in typical CBG layout).   OR, if I take the Seagull design idea, played more like a typical guitar, go D-A-dd.   Am I on the right track here?

Also, why are the twin strings tuned to the same note (like on dulcimers or mandolins)?  THanks for your insights!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This gives me an idea. What about using a aluminum softball bat or aluminum pipe/large conduit to make a hollow neck? 

• That's a worthy experiment Paul. I've used PVC pipe for hollow necks before with mixed results.

• I recently made a Baritone 3 string out of PVC for the plumbers challenge. It was low in acoustical volume, just not enough vibration through the PVC. Aluminum might fair better, but the small diameter "pipe" could have a low volume output as well. That's why they make Piezo's.  Haha

• Ha ha Craig, always thinking outside the "box" .

I'm not sure of what gains would be made for the effort involved, unless you welded it to an aluminium saucepan Ha Ha.

Cheers Taff

• That's me, weird thoughts. ;)

You could cut the end off and stuff a block of wood at the end and mount it to a body with screws.

Drill holes through - crossways for acoustic effect. Would need to make the guitar headless and attach a fretboard and nut with a curved base. Tuners behind the bridge. Aluminum gets used a lot on Lap Steel and Pedal Steel guitars.

• Thanks Jim and Gary.

Taff

• Taff - wow!   that's absolutely gorgeous!  Thanks for sharing!

• Hi, yes hollow necks are and old idea, I have a English 1930's Windsor 5 string Zither banjo with an hollow neck. I has slits just under the fretboard in the neck as soundholes.

When I built dulcimers, back in the day I always made hollow necks.

Not only but also, a Weisenbourn slide guitar does not have a hollow neck as such, but more of a hollow body that runs from tail to peghead and goes narrower under the fretboard area.

Here's a photo of one of mine that I built a while ago.

306669379?profile=original 306669401?profile=original Cheers Taff

• Wow! Very nice Taff!

This reply was deleted.