Article, photos and video by Wade Costenbader of Victory Guitar Pickups.  You can find more of his instruments and videos at Wade on Cigar Box Nation.  

I believe limberjacks go way back to Europe, probably Irish or Celtic. The limberjacks I am most familiar with are Appalachian style... jointed, wood carved toys that bounce on what is called a paddle board.

Video: Limberjacks from Alan Lomax's "Appalachian Journey" documentary

A person would sit on this stiff, thin paddle board and hold the Limberjack with a long stick that was attached to the back of the figure. The person would then tap the board to make the Limberjack dance and make a percussive sound that could accompany musicians.

I used to make this style when I took my guitars to shows and it really helped draw in the crowd. I was looking at a pile of small cigar boxes a few weeks ago and thought," these would make a cool stage for my limberjacks." From there I thought, why not make the Limberjack dance without a stick running out the limberjacks back. Add a little more mystique!

I must admit just like building CBG's,they are addictive to build, but even more so to play with. It is difficult to walk past without giving the limberjacks a few turns.

I spent a crazy amount of time just scratching my head and figuring out the workings, At this point they take about 10-15 hours from concept to completion. I don't plan on making two that are alike.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow Wade! I love your new busker's model. Great combination of methods. Banjo boy plays nice. The fiddle bow arms swing swell on the devil machine. Thanks again Wade.
  • https://youtu.be/fhf8EcbxBCs
  • Thanks Wade. Great tips. I'm just working with the hooey stick so far. But sometime soon I want to try your method. Wow, the video of the dual is wonderful! You have it all going on! There's the devil in that box!
  • https://youtu.be/UZnmgfNPfpA
    • So cool to see then dueling ,very clever craftsmanship .
      • Thanks Jeff. Made mostly from scraps too small to be used for a CBG and a squarish cigar box. I like using Acid brand boxes because they are thick and sturdy.
  • Thanks Dave. The boxes are secured shut, but maybe I can explain the workings. It's just one cog in there probably 1/4" for up and down motion. The wire from the Limberjack can't just sit on the moving cog, so I place plastic or wood over the top to ride over the bumpy cog. The wood or plastic can wear through, so I place a piece of metal over the wire wear spot to prevent a hole where the wire is riding up and down. I use a lot of paste wax to keep things moving freely and to avoid squeaks. hope this helps.
  • What does the inside of the box look like? You worked it out perfect Wade. Fun stuff!
    • Dave, I added some details on the Limberjack page.

-Wads
  • Now I'm hooked. Thanks, I think?
This reply was deleted.