The Cigar Box Guitar Builders Decree

(Well, mine anyway)

1. The finish does not have to be mirror quality.

If it is basically the same color all over, thats good enough.

Why do you think they call it “stain”.

2. The neck does not have to be as smooth as glass.

No faster than I play, if it feels smooth to me, that's ok.

3. If there is a little gap where the neck joins the body, no problem.

This serves as an additional, small sound hole.

4. If the intonation is a little off, I can live with that.

I seldom play that high up on the neck anyway.

5. If the wires from the pickup to the knobs and jack are not neatly bundled, thats ok.

You don't have any business looking in there, and no one has ever proven that

affects the playability.

6. If there is some glue residue (hereafter referred to as “Flen”) on the fretboard-neck seam,

Thats OK. It sanded down smooth. See No.2

7. Should a pilot hole for a tuner mounting screw go all the way through the headstock.

Wood putty of a similar color will fix that. An alternative fix is to make all of them go

through so the effect is uniform.

8,. Should you have some extra glue ooze out and create the before mentioned Flen it's

alright. It adds to the structural integrity of the glued parts.

All of the above add to the “Character” of the build and make it unique.

I am sure I missed some build pitfalls, so feel free to add to the list if this resembles

you in any way.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Cigar Box Guitars are like snow flakes. No two are ever exactly alike.

And that's why I like them.

• Since they don't make gig bags for CBGs, it is ok to have dings in the woodwork.  That proves that you take your ax on the road and it is not a wall hanger.

• I follow them all 1 through 8 just never thought it out. My creations are never, never perfect but I do like shiny things, so I'll polish them up as best I can to hide all the oops that I did.

• I cover my ass by starting with aged and ancient cigar boxes...can't pretty those suckers up so I'm already in the "imperfection" groove....no pretty shiney here for sure.

• I just try to play shiny, on something old and beat-up, or masterfully built - finding the tone in what y'all build is where I live.

"You didn't hafta make it, but you did, but you did, but you did, and I thank you."
  • I swear to include all of the above in my builds.  I will try to reach the high expectations of my fellow builders.

• I agree in not liking pristine, shiny perfection in CBGs.  

And the same for CBG music -not too much shiny perfection.   Not many effects or gadgets.  I want CBG music to sound like home made music on home made instruments.  

• I use to only try to build guitars all nice neat and clean, I would never except glue showing or scratches.

now I only build them that look cruddy and wound never build one that's neat or clean, I try to make sure it has scratches and dents before I paint it so it looks like it has a past... I have done a complete flip flop!

• 306376082?profile=originalRight on Juice.  If one judges my work by being able to see their reflection in it, they probably should have gone to the Guitar store and bought one.  Even my best effort has some imperfections.

• Hey Hey hey!....someone spent "quite a few hours" of there life on that old timer!!!

This reply was deleted.