I think I am done with cheap power tools. I should know better. I bought a drill press at Harbor Freight and figured for what I need it for it would be fine. ( Drilling tuner holes and fretboard dot inlay holes)

I have used it once and it seems to be a real piece of crap. I should have spent twice the amount and gotten a half decent one like a Skil, Ryobi or Craftsman.

The chuck has so much slop it vibrates the work as you drill, leaving out of round holes and the depth stop is a total joke as the whole piece that is supposed to stop just gives under mild pressure. 

I have had great success with the 10 dollar Japanese pull saw I got there for cutting fret slots but will not buy any more power tools from them or other "cheap" tool places.

Maybe it will make a 1/2 decent drum sander.

If you were planning on getting one, don't waste your money.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i am a guy that rather buys a good brand used than new cheap chinese copies.

bought a old used metal lathe. with all bearings renewed and electrical repair it cost me the same as a new chinese lathe but it is alot better. my drillpress i got out of a mobile militairy repairtruck and that was build just after WW2. for smaller work i do have one of them cheap drillpresses. solved the shaking problem with other pully's and new chuck. them pullys where so off balance it shook the teeth out of yer jaw just looking at it.

im out of a lumber family and when i see them cheap chainsaws out of china for sale they make me shiver. tried starting one and the plastic casing bend so much you could see the sword/chain twisting. brrrrrrrr

(ok i messed up my hands with a stihl but that was user error and not related to the saw)

• how long do these hold the charge for once the dead battery is revitalize.

no info on the net...

• The ones i've done are still re charging after more than a year John

• Mostly agree with you, but sometimes expensive isn't any better.  You've just got to watch what you buy.  Dremels are quite expensive and they aren't always reliable. I always try and get a few reviews of something before I buy now, that's the good thing about the internet.  Even if I'm in a shop I check reviews on my phone first.

• most dremels break cause of pushing the bits to hard into the workpiece so the rpm drop to much. it is a high speed, low torque motor and the bit should do the work, not the muscles in a arm. i use dremel alot and sometimes for long time without turning the thing off. never have problems with them to be honest.

• a lot of tools are made in china these days so don't be fooled by brand name's.

cheap brand names doesn't mean quality.

I'm a member on a UK welding forum.

you wouldn't believe that some brand names are just as bad as chinese named tools like titan etc.

I had a titan bench drill ,chuck wasn't the brightest so I bought another chuck and it worked spot on.

I had that drill for about 10 years and still going strong even after I gave it to my son(got a better bench drill given).

I have a matek hand drill made by makita and that is a beast.

I think Makita over engineered on that one as it was much better than their own brand.

the matec cost me £45($70) to get the equivalent makita brand  is almost doubled. 

I bought a Makita cordless drill worked fine for about a year then the batteries won't hold charge for long about 15 minutes work then it needs recharging.my son has the same he gave up on that one.

tools nowadays aren't made to last or indeed the same quality of old.

• John,when your batteries die,just give them a jolt with your welder,2.5 mm rod,low amps [around 15],hold on terminals with polarity matched for a few seconds and battery should be good to recharge fully

• Lol, yes... somewhere, may years ago, I built a capacitor based battery zapper... used to demonstrate how to turn small resistors into flashbulbs...

• I've heard that before.thanks I'll bare that in mind.

• should have mentioned,i,ve done this 5/6 times and no problems,BUT,i always protect myself,just in case

This reply was deleted.