Hi, I have not had time to build a box guitar in a long while, but last week I made the effort.

The inspiration came from having an abundance of timber available from a fence that I demolished, and a reason to build.
The timber is shown in the first photo, the inspiration comes from the fact that this year the town where I live is celebrating 150 years since the finding of gold in this area of North Queensland 1772 to 2022, here in Australia.

My house and workshop sit on the site of the first solid building on the Millchester goldfields, and 20 meters from the back door I recently found an 1875 coin.
Anyway, as can be seen, to add a mining flavor to the build the guitar has the likeness of a spade, tools of necessity back in the day, and parts of the timber have been left unfinished to give an aged appearance. The date is stamped on the peghead handle.

A few other features I have not used before are the use of height-adjustable bridge saddles [in the form of modified slotted bolts] the way the neck is attached to the body [two old slotted head wood screws] and the use of acoustic strings [only used once before].
To keep the strings vibrating energy where it’s needed, in the top and in the box, I used very thick sides, and that has improved the sound an amazing amount when coupled with the thin-ish top.
It’s loud enough to play fingerstyle and be heard, and really loud if a flat pick is used. I’m very happy with it considering the top was so full of splits that I had to run glue into them to stiffen up the top.
Cheers Taff

Views: 173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nice guitar Taffy. 

Might have to visit Charters Towers one day... its only a 14 1/2 hr drive....lol

Beautiful build. See you made it an arched top too, cool. Hope you do a video, of you playing it.

Hi Tim, You would be welcome to visit. Fourteen hours away you sway, easy peasy. At least you would not have to push a wheelbarrow with your swag and spade like they used to back in the day.

Hi Keith, the top is flat, it must be an illusion. Yep, I have some songs ready to post.
Cheers Taff

Hi Keith, I tried to load a video but it looks like it's too big to load, sorry.390MB.
Taff

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Taffy Evans yesterday. 8 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

"Thanks. Wow! That becomes a spendy box Alan. They are pretty distinctive though. I have a few on…"
7 hours ago
Nigel McTrustry posted a video

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! - Yellow Dog - Live - Original - Cigar Box Guitar

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! Yellow Dog (McTrustry)@ The Cave Inn Brisbane, Australia.The song is currently on Spotify.
7 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

""Sweet Doug" :-), have seen quite a few Flathead Builds over the years, great looking…"
10 hours ago
AGP # liked David Dodt's photo
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Aaron Green's photo
10 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Gary O'slide's video
11 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->