I bought some of these pickups for a project guitar. These pickups are close to the same output as the original Danelectro pickups. They don't use the same magnets. Dano used Alnico VI and then settled on Alnico V while these pickups use a ceramic magnet. Not that ceramic magnets are bad(these are good pickups), the Alnico magnets give a sparkle-bright tone to these pickups with low wind output.
I got these pickups because they have a Strat type mount, however, they don't fit in the Strat pickguard without some carving modifications. Original Dano pickups had different mounting that mounted to the back of the guitar cavity. Those would work in a CBG very well because it wouldn't add weight to the top.
One issue with these pickups is they are all wound the same direction and have the same magnetic polarity. So if you have more than one in a guitar, you'll have that out of phase sound playing both pickups that some people like and some don't. You also won't have noise free humbucking in the middle position.
Original pickups had a bar magnet with wire wrapped around it and wrapped in paper, then stuffed into the tubes. So I was interested in how these were put together. First I looked at the wire and they have 3 wires. A bare ground wire and 2 coated wires for coil start/hot(red) and a coil end wire/ground(white). That makes switching the wind direction easy, you just switch the Hot/signal(red) wire to ground and the coil end/ground(white) wire to hot/signal. That'll end the out of phase sound, but you'll still have noise/non-humbucking issue. So first I checked the polarity with my compass.
Then I took it apart.

Views: 775

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for that Carl.
I did attemp to seal a pickup in Varnish once, but I picked up a can of Poly by mistake and tried it anyway. It took about a week before it quit dripping out and hopefully dried and I was a bit worried because I didn't know if the Poly was conductive or not. It didn't show any signs of being conductive and it worked(for now), but I'll be using wax from now on.

Yes, thank you Carl! That was some needed input

Love these 'We did it so you don't have to' articles. I've got 3 of these set aside for a SRV tribute build and for me, pickups might as well be voodoo, so I'm glad I'll get the out-of-phase strat tone without any monkeying. Thanks!

Mojotone has Lipstick Tube pickups wound by Rene Martinez that made the pickups for SRV. He used to work for Fernandez guitars til they closed. Their Strat sets have the middle pickup RWRP. Seymour Duncan also makes their middle Strat Lipstick RWRP. Many winders do not.

Thanks for the tips Paul!

Dipping in varnish gives me a shudder. Not that there's anything wrong with it for this application.

One of the pieces of equipment I regularly work on has a large transformer and the previous vendor did a varnish dip. A poor varnish dip, to be clear. After a failure, we cut it open and found large pockets of no varnish. The new vendor is doing a vacuum impregnation with epoxy...much better for our case.

The varnish will have bubbles of dry areas, but taking one of those varnished pickups apart is way easier than one of those epoxied pickups.
I tried to take a epoxied pickup apart once and almost destroyed it before finally giving up. Once it's epoxied it's forever sealed. ;)

Yes, I agree Varnish is an outdated process for transformers, but no significant voltage going through a pickup, so dry out isn’t a factor. Wax also dries out & becomes brittle over time too. So really it’s more of a preference thing. One thing hobbyists get wrong with potting is climate control, you’ll come out with a half cured pickup if you don’t control the temperature/humidity throughout the process? Simply, if It sounds good & I like it, then how it’s made doesn’t matter as long as it makes me happy?

I got 2 of these pickups from someone that had a couple Daneletro Koreian made pickups. Neither pickup was RWRP, so I took one apart to see if I could switch it around. It didn't work out and I ended up making it a useless pickup. I accidentally broke the coil wire on one end of coil killing the pickup. The tube was full of wax making the task of switching it around too difficult.
Was it a $35 dollar mistake or a $35 dollar leaning experience? I say both. Hahaha
If it doesn't want to come out, leave it in. ;) one thing I learned is that the bottom mounting piece is interchangeable.

Paul, a little heat would’ve made it slide right out, those things are always jammed full of wax? I keep forgetting to ask if you’ve ever heard about the Artec made lipstick pickups, I remember they make them as humbuckers too? The have the same flat mounting plate like the rest of the replacement pickups too?

The original Danelectro pickups back in the 60's(which may have been made by DeArmond) were just wire around an A5 magnet and wrapped tightly with wax paper and then shoved into the tubes.

This last pickup was wire around a A5 magnet that was wrapped with electrical tape and placed into the tube. Finally dipped into wax for potting. I'd say that's a good way to do it. Just remember if you want to get into one of these, use a heat gun on it first to melt some wax so you can mess with it or leave it be.

Brian: Yep

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
13 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
13 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
14 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
14 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
15 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
16 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
17 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
19 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
23 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
23 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->