I've caught the CBG bug. I just finished my first build and had a great time and learned so much new information. I've done some freelance writing in the past and have been thinking about putting a project together and publishing something myself. I would like to put together a CBG magazine. I would like to get a sample digital issue together and put together a Kickstarter proposal to try to get funding for a print edition. Is there anyone out there that would like to contribute? It can be an article, how to column, photos, art , really anything you can think of. If you have any ideas please let me know. I'm also thinking it would be cool to offer a digital mix tape of mp3's with the issue. Any feedback would be appreciated. Message me here of cbgmagazine@gmail.com. Thanks.

Views: 1353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well  ..    i  bet    issue  #1  of that  mag  is    worth  something  now  .  as would  be  your    first article issue  to  you  . 

as would  it  be  cool  to   find  one  40  years from  now  . 

the internet did not   replace  a carbon  copy  ..  even   designers    know    it  is  still  needed  ..    this    is why  your  computer  comes  with a printer  . 

sure  it  costs     more to  do  ,  but it  also  has built in  financing .

but  i  think  you  hit the  nail   on the   head about  mainstream  ..   many  folks  here   "pretend"  they   want to  spread the   word  ,,  but   in all  honesty    , they  feel  threatened  by    new  competition  . 

just as  some  replys   i  have seen  on  here   offering  "advice  "   to  someone wanting to  sell  cbgs   etc  .. i see  misinformation  and/or discouragement supplied       because  they  see  the   question as  "  how  can   i  be     good  competition  to   you  ?"  etc etc  .. 

also  ..  becoming   "mainstream"  may  take away  from  the cool  factor   , and  mystique  . 

guess  one  has   to  decide  what they  really  want  .  and    make sure  they   really  want   what they    decide .   ;-)

Oh, I have a few copies of that first article, tucked away in an air-conditioned storage unit. And one day my kids will find it, and go, "WTF? Dad did some weird sh*t. Actor, playwright, poet, freelance writer, singer-songwriter, geologist, cross-dresser, ugly blonde, guitarist, percussionist, bearded intellectual slob, bluesman wannabe, hunter-gatherer, brewer, vintner, bon vivant...too bad he spent our inheritance on convertibles and Hawaiian shirts. He never did learn to grow up. Mom's gonna wanna toss all this stuff..."

And I will laugh.

Wait a minute - I never knew that you were BLONDE!

I'm always the last to know...

Thanks for the reply. Check out my recent post for a little bit of a further explanation. This project would start small scale.

I would try to secure initial funding for a small first print via Kickstarter and go from there. Thanks for the response.

I'll help however I can. Sounds like fun!

Thanks Brian. I'll stay in touch via posts.

You'd almost be better off writing a book than a monthly periodical.  I could maybe see an email newsletter, but we already get one tied to this website by CBGitty.  The book thing has been done too. But I know there only are few books on this subject, and the ones out there (as good as they are) don't have everything.  Frankly, neither would your book (if you did one), but another (more up to date) book about CBGs couldn't hurt. 

Holy shit Blind doughboy is still alive and kickin! I thought the Ozarks swallows you up!...good to see you are still in de shadows!

well said  ,  blind doughboy

Thanks for the response. In my research I was able to track down an issue of Uncle Enos from a girl that sells zines in WA.  I really liked it. I really appreciate all of the responses but I would like to clarify a few things. I'm looking to do this because of a genuine interest in the subject. I harbor no illusions that this project is going to make me rich. I work full time now and write on the side. I'm looking to produce a small, professional , niche publication. I'm hoping to put a rough draft together and then seek funding via Kickstarter. I do have some experience with Kickstarter proposals. I'm not looking to put out a CBG " Rolling Stone" I want to make something weird and unique. I do agree that a magazine really requires well written content to be successful. I'm a decent editor and I have some production skills and I hope that some people who are passionate and far more knowledgeable on the subject would like to contribute. Thank you very much for the encouraging words and your time.

I've been having a think about this, and although I'm still not convinced about the viability of a print mag, I think it's a really nice idea. I especially like the sound of an online periodical, or Brian's suggestion of a book.

I used to buy quite a few magazines (music and video games mainly), subscriptions and all. About 3 years ago online blogs pretty much took their place for me - to the extent that when the magazine arrived I was reading 1-2 month old news... but I don't think that would be as much of a problem for your project.

As Pick said, you are welcome to use any of my pictures, and I quite enjoy making the odd 'how to' such as this

I am very much into the philosophy of 'free and open', and I think the free exchange (for the most part) of ideas on this site seems very forward thinking.

Consider me happy to help.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

AGP # commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"A Different, but very Likeable take on a Classic Blues Song :-)"
32 minutes ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's video
33 minutes ago
T-Gripped liked David Hopkins's photo
5 hours ago
Jim Weaver updated their profile
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"I tryed something differend whit the crossroad consept, thanks for listening ! appreciated !"
7 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Thanks everyone! Yes it is inspiring to own other cigar box guitar builders creations. I have many…"
14 hours ago
A.D.EKER replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
"Nice one Korigan !  The Vinger Slascher ?"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Head Slingers "The Steady Crew " Right On !"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"crunch Rocking DAR ! nice kit ! jangling julery! Slash Dar Johnson!! now on stage !!"
17 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
17 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

The Robert Johnson fight whit the devil, and there he was , standing on the Crossroads, waiting to meet the Guy that was going to change his way's, did he w...
17 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->