Replies

• I made a 3-string with an oak neck, no truss rod.  It sounds great and is holding up well.  I may try a scavenged neck 4-stringer next time.

306165055?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Is that an all wood box?  I have a paper covered one about that size that I really want to use, but am worried about it's structural integrity.  I know I will have to stiffen/beef it up.  I am just trying to figure out options and way to do effectively before I start.

• No, it's an old paper covered box from Florida, probably 1960s.  However, it's got a big chunk of solid oak in it.  The pickup mounts directly on the oak, it's through-strung and the bridge and tail piece are supported from inside. The neck is screwed/glued to the oak plank.  So, it's basically a solid-body bass that has a cigar box wrapped round it.

• How does she sound?  I am thinking for my build I am gonna have to pretty much do the same (fit the box around a solid piece, or have an oak plank through the middle of the box that the neck and bridge bolt to).  Thanks for the reply.

• I made this cardboard box 3 string upright bass about a month ago and I love it!  Not a cigar box, but still sounds incredibly full.  I find the upright style to be a lot of fun for blues, bluegrass, rock and roll, pretty much any style of playing.

305999313?profile=original

• What kind of strings are you using? I'm considering building a bass and thought I might try to get some Kala u-bass strings. But it looks like there are other alternatives. More info, please!

P.S. A cardboard box? Brilliant!

• Slim, they're just weedwacker wire with an aluminum clamp at the bottom loops.  A lot cheaper than buying strings and seem to pretty durable once they set in with the tension.  Let me know if you want more info that I used for construction.

• I just finished my first 2 string bass and used an old wine box that held 3 bottles... decent acoustic sound, embedded a piezo disc in the bridge and it sounds great plugged in. Big box= big sound...305999379?profile=original

• Yeah I always intended for a mag pickup.  Im just going to find a bass for parts.  Looks like I am going to be a pawn shop regular again.
This reply was deleted.