CBG amp? Looking to build or buy one under $100 if possible, need suggestions please

Ok so I’m stepping up my playing and want to move into an amp. 

currently have a 4 string fretless slide CBC, 3 string shovel, ukulele, banjo and banjolele (the last 2 aren’t amplified...yet)

so I originally wanted a Roland street cube since I’ve seen Justin Johnson using one to great success, but 1, I don’t want to pay that much and 2, I like hand built if possible (kinda seems to fit with the bluegrass/poor man theme eh?)

ive debates the Pignose amp but I’ve been seeing quality issues with the newer ones, and the other option I’ve given thought was the Boss katana mini. 

basically what I’m looking for is battery (with wall power option) operated for portability, and beyond that I’d like to sound decent. 

what can y’all say to this idea?

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the little Rogue 5W amps, like this Rogue G5 battery powered amp

You can use them as-is OR take them apart and build them into a cigar box as an easy project. The last video I posted uses one of these.  Blues & Whiskey video

The Roland micro-cubes are nice too, with on-board effects.

I'm a novice builder compared to a lot of the cbg builders here. And I like you like making my own stuff, I've built a few amps using various boards, radios and older small ebay amps. On ebay I bought a pignose hog20 for $45 +-  It only needed batteries $12 for 2. And I got a micro cube for $79 free shipping. For $50 bucks I got a fender frontman, Yamaha ga10,and a axl thin line. So you can get small amps under $100 just takes time looking. The cube and the thinline are good, lots of audio languages to play with. The hog 20 sounds really good but all it has is tone and squeal.

I've used cb gittys amp boards stock and hacked with different size caps and tone pots 500s 250s and 10s. 3 or 4 of nightfires boards and the tone monster boards sd2w and mah5. The mah5 is the best one.

Have not tried the boss katana. Met a guy who delivered some firewood said it was great for metal.

That is about the extent of my amp knowledge. 

Look in Facebook marketplace. So far I've picked up 3 amps for less than $20 ea, one of them for $5. I also got one free from the trash, it needed a power transformer. Granted they aren't window breaking, earth shaking stage amps, they work just fine.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->