I play uke and love Aquila strings.

Last night, when I put them on my latest build (a cookie tin uke), I tuned them up to pitch, and after about 30 minutes the 2 highest ones snapped at the tail end. (I have them running thru the neck and knotted at the back of the neck). They were tenor strings and the uke is tenor scale (18"). So I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or if another type of string might be a better option.  

Any thoughts welcomed. Mahalo!  

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi I have a great interest in these strings and have spoken to many users and read hundreds of forum posts and the general gist of it is that these stings sound wonderful but can be very temperamental. You often find that even one rough edge can cause breakages, and some individual sets seem particularly vulnerable. Make sure there are no sharp edges before trying again. I love the sound of these but Aquila strings can be an expensive vice.
    All the best from Bill. :D
    • Hi Bill, Thank you for weighing in. Expensive vice it right... Normally I wouldn't use Aquilas on an untested home build, but it was late and those were the only tenor strings I had. I'll let you know how it turns out. Cheers, Greg

This reply was deleted.