Bought a Cigar Box on ebay, delivered today and its made from cardboard. Bahaaaa!

Are cardboard cigar boxes ok to use for CBG's ?

Or do I need to line the inside with wooden material like balsa wood (then do the build), to get a good sound from it. ?

Assumed the one I purcashed on ebay was a wooden cigar box, they did'nt stipulate the box material.

Only indicated it was a vintage box.

Any suggestions.....cheers

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've used that pressed hard cardboard MDF type before on a build.

It worked out way better than I imagined and was so easy to work with. Zero acoustic properties but very stable for electric amp. Solid little thing.

• You be the judge if you have a good guitar or not. If is sounds good to you, it's good.

Try using high pitch strings (Middle G, High D, High G if using open G). I find they have a brilliance that really shine on cardboard boxes or boxes without sound holes. It's the lower strings that really benefit from a thin wooden soundboard with sound holes.

I would be surprised that lining the inside of the box would make it sound better. The sound come from the resonance of the box. If your cardboard box does not resonate well, adding wood to the inside may make it resonate even less.

• Also suggest Uncle Crow build. Heck he made them out of Dell Keyboard boxes and they sounded great!

• Looks like a nice build you've got going.

To show what can be done with cardboard, search for "Ray Jacob's dulcimer." He builds dulcimers, guitars, etc. with plywood back and cardboard sides/tops.

• Uncle Crow Style neck, (a.k.a dulcimer mounting) with the stick-on-face instead of through the box.  One of Uncle Crow's videos mentions that corrugated cardboard boxes are actually louder than wood when built this way.

• Can be. In the grand scheme of things, if YOU are happy with the sound, then the sound is fine. Are you going to put a pickup in it?

This reply was deleted.