Ok, I rip cut a piece of hardwood flooring and now I'm trying to figure out what kind of wood it is. Here are a couple picture of it fresh cut...

The little section of wood on top of it is Red Oak, so I am not totally sure what it is....

To me it looks like Walnut or Mahogany....

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It does look like mahogany!!

• Looks like mahogany to me...

http://www.bearcreeklumber.com/species/mah_clr.html

• Brazilian I think...

• Brazilian%20Mahogany.jpg

• tropical woods don't have annular or growth rings. These are areas where the cells are of different sizes. On a ring porous wood like oak, you can look at the end of it & see really big pores that get progressively smaller, then get real big again. It's just reflecting the growth cycle. In the spring, they grow a lot & the pores are bigger. In the summer, as there is less water, they grow smaller & in the winter, they're smaller & tighter yet. In typical years, you'll see one ring per year. Drought & fires can set a tree back to where it will have a second or even a 3d ring in a year.

247556.jpg

• Mahogany under the microscope.. hence the fine dark grain lines as you sand through it.

(I believe for mahogany it depends on the cut and where it's from, i.e climate)

My guess is Brazil as I have some very similar..

santos-mahogany-endgrain-zoom.jpg

• After a lot of study on this, I have come to the conclusion that I DO NOT KNOW what it is..

BUT.. I did stay at a Holiday Inn  once

• scuff it if it furry its mahogany if not walnut. cut some smells like walnut to me.

this is a good sample of the most common in US.

species-cabinet.jpg

• I was thinking more like Phillipine Mahogany.  Mahogany is pretty easy to work and cut, etc.  If it is really heavy, dense and difficult to work, it could be Yper, pronounced EPAY.  It is used for decking here on the west coast.  Tough, hard to work, rot resistant.

• Looks like Mahogany to me.

This reply was deleted.