That is my question for discussion.  I would like to call myself a luthier, but I hesitate.  I have built 21 instruments.   They all work.  I usually say I am an amateur luthier.  

I have built 3 string guitars, 4 string guitars and 11 ukes.  Do my own fretting, have built 5 boxes, albeit rectangular

Like most of us, I am self-taught, with a lot of help from you guys in the Nation.  I've made lots of jigs to compensate for lack of power tools.

I have been at this for 1 1/2 years and have sold about 8 instruments.  I am semiretired.

What do you think?.

Views: 3678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm on the fence here too. Whether or not our builds are highy refined necks in intricate handmade boxes or crude sticks in a cookie tin, it does take a certain amount of knowledge and skill to make one that functions.
I think the most amazing aspect of this craft is that I'm creating a device capable of creating beautiful music.
I wouldn't get hung up on this label. What we're making is bigger than our supposed credentials.

Some of the guys here that build factory style guitars, Ukes, Weissenborns. But me I glue or bolt a stick to a box string it and play.

I cannot build this.

When was the last time you tried to build this...?

I make saw dust in various textures and size and the odd thing is that a stick inna box with strings appears. 

Dammed right you are a Luthier. You are one who makes stringed musical instruments, therefore a Luthier. I retired a few years ago and became an amateur luthier as a hobby. I love it and when someone asks what I do to keep busy I tell them I am an amateur luthier. I then spend the next 20 minutes explaining to them what a luthier is and does. Great conversation starter.  

We're just goofier luthiers. I build box instruments because I haven't tried bending wood yet.

Goofiers.

I've been playing around with this lately.  Tried soaking, steaming and swearing, none of which worked very well.  I bought a heat blanket from Keenovo and can bend wood like a whirl'n dervish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-X32-480W-120V-Mandolin-Side-Bending-Silic...

Made some small bodied 4 string guitars.  One of which was for a nephew that I'd hand cut a lizard sound hole into it.  You can see it in the sound hole contest.  They are fun to make and a challenge to be sure.  Just thought you might like to try it some day...

Glenn,

Thanks for your very encouraging and kind words.  That made my day.

Thanks for the heat blanket link. Very interesting....

I'm on my third build, and I have also put a new back back on a blown out martin acoustic guitar. I've refiished a bass and replaced the electronics.

These are all experimental and I'm learning as I go.

Do I consider myself a luthier? No, but by definition I could. Perhaps if I did it for a living, I would say I am, but for now my response would be, " I am not a luthier, but I play one on tv"

if you feel you need to put a name on what you like to do, Luthier is technically the name of WHAT you are doing. i have tools and like to work on old cars....does that make me a "Mechanic"? when people i know have car problems, i am usually one of the first people they go to, mostly because my advice for them is free. i rarely make money being a "Mechanic".

my profession is as a Computer Tech. that is how i make money, and i have a piece of paper proclaiming that i spent time and money gaining the education needed to be a computer tech....but oddly enough, a lot of the same people i know come to me for my help with their computers for the same great deal of FREE....so i guess that makes me something else, entirely.

i know a guy who is a professional Luthier. that is how he earns his living. he even has a store front he works out of, and a list of clientele that reads like a who's who of musicians, some quite famous  . to stand in his workshop and look at all the stringed instrument stuff he has is awe-inspiring, and a bit intimidating. i go to him for advice all the time...and he gives it to me for FREE.....i still consider him a professional luthier.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
1 hour ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
3 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
8 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->