That is my question for discussion.  I would like to call myself a luthier, but I hesitate.  I have built 21 instruments.   They all work.  I usually say I am an amateur luthier.  

I have built 3 string guitars, 4 string guitars and 11 ukes.  Do my own fretting, have built 5 boxes, albeit rectangular

Like most of us, I am self-taught, with a lot of help from you guys in the Nation.  I've made lots of jigs to compensate for lack of power tools.

I have been at this for 1 1/2 years and have sold about 8 instruments.  I am semiretired.

What do you think?.

Views: 3680

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactement, c'est le mot juste, luth en Francais, qui est ma petit blague. Though I can speak French passably well, guitar maker is much more accurate and understandable than "luthier" and less, as we say in the UK, poncey.

Finally, a less poncey Brit! (Just kidding). Yes. luthier does sound pretentious. It is fun in casual conversation to skirt the question: what does a luthier do? Ok, I make guitars from cigar boxes and other reclaimed materials....

CBJ is wise.

thome of my guitarth are made of thcrapth and loothe endth and thcrapthier just thoundth thilly

"crappier" ??? It's a thought... (2 p's or 1??)

Not to be confused with a "croupier"--which is something else entirely.

put some class in it,crappierre',but now we're almost full circle

:-)

Mike Orr, in his book on making homemade musical instruments, refers to our craft as "primal lutherie." From that, I've assumed I was a "primal luthier." Somehow it sounds vaguely threatening, n'est-ce pas?

I consider making my guitars as an extension of my art. That is how I started this crazy thing in the first place. I came at it as functional sculpture. When I learn to play well enough, it will become performance art. So, why don't we just go with Artists?

I call myself a bloke mucking about in my shed, though artist, or rather BS artist is also a good fit.

Nice collection BTW!

Many years ago, I attended and graduated from Luthier school. I never went into business, because I didn't like working for a couple of bucks an hour, and living with sawdust in almost every orifice. 

If you only build CBGs, then you are not a luthier...... sorry. A CBG is not a guitar, they are very different instruments.

I actually prefer to play a CBG instead of a guitar, but that is another story.

Of course, you can call yourself anything you want, and let the market place decide.

So a guitar is what then?  Has 6 strings?  I guess Keef doesn't play guitar?  Must it be acoustic, or can I put 6 strings on a plank with a pickup and call it a guitar?  The splitting of hairs is fun.

I put luthier on my LinkedIn profile as a bit of fun with the traditional definition, but it is the only place I use that title.  On Facebook it is Guitar Player, a title at which I'm equally unskilled.  Truthfully, I haven't made a guitar in several months and have focused on playing and building some knife slides.  I guess I should change my profession to what I saw on a farmer's truck when I was in school.

Brown's Farm

Joe Brown GPA

"GPA" is General Putter A$$

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #530 - ''Pink Floyd''

"Colorfull Build  AGP # the last colorfull song they will  ever build ,the feud is going…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Jose Cuervo | Shelly West cover on 4-string CBG

"its good to hear you are part of the "Old Content" did not get any of this ,but you…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Good morning UJ ,How are you ? hope you are fine! i did say "CrossRoads",Blues Rock its a…"
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on J. D. Woods's photo
7 hours ago
Uncle John commented on J. D. Woods's photo
Thumbnail

Current Instrument Line-Up

"Nice line up.  Unusual pick guard on the big git that looks like a Martin.  What is that…"
7 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"Nice, nice trio."
7 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Looks great.  That looks like one I could really like playing.  Four strings too. …"
7 hours ago
Uncle John commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Anti-Body Guitars 18,19 and 20

"Great theme, workmanship and guitars!"
7 hours ago
Uncle John commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Angel 2x Anti-Body #17

"Very, very nice.  I hope it got to a good home and that it will be enjoyed.."
7 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Darryl Tuttle's photo
Thumbnail

Old portable heater

"Yup.  Good eye deer.  Maybe find a use for that fan too.  If not on this amp,…"
7 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Looks and sounds good. Built under the solar eclipse!"
7 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->