I have bought 2 small cigar boxes  a 'La Corona' 5 1/4" x 8 1/4" x 1 5/8" and a 'La Doncella' 5" x 8" x 1 1/2" are these too small for 3 srtingers?  And what scale length ? plan on piezo bridge pup...

Any help much apprieciated . Cheers

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My steampunk guitar I used two small boxes. I joined them together to get the scale I was after.
  • Hey Randy, what can you tell us about that fret spacing? It hardly looks like 12tet.
    Randy S. Bretz said:

19 " scale length, 4 string dulci-jo, frame under the box, 6" hand drum pot.
  • smaller boxes with a standard scale (24-25 1/2") can give you a "vintage" look,,, many older boxes were smallish and were used for CBGsssss.....

I have not problem with shorter scale length either.... you're the builder, follow your instinct...

the best,

Wichita Sam
  • I'm with Randy, I'd go smaller. 17" or even 15".
  • An easy way is to prep the box and get it ready for whatever style neck you will be using. Put the uncut neck stock in position and use your tape measure to find a scale that is both workable and looks proportional to the size box your using.

Find the approximate location for your bridge....pick a scale...measure to the nuts position on the neck...leave about 5 or 6 inches for your headstock. Look at the proportion to your box v/s the length of neck, overall length etc.

I have to agree that a 22.5 or 23" scale is gonna be what your looking for. Build the guitar in your head first.....those mistakes are easier to correct before you start cutting.
  • Thanks for advice . Love making these things just got to get more boxes a bit thin on the ground here in the uk. cheers.

c# merle said:
    as long as your realistic about the volume a small box creates, acoustically that is, then go for it.
    iv'e made cbgs from smaller boxes before using a 22' scale and you can get a really good tone from them.
    have fun robert
  • cool, 22 1/2 " scale sounds more in keeping to the scale of the boxes . Cheers.

ChickenboneJohn said:
    They'll be right..just the job for single string diddley bows or 22 1/2inch scale 3 stringers..I've made loads like that.
  • as long as your realistic about the volume a small box creates, acoustically that is, then go for it.
    iv'e made cbgs from smaller boxes before using a 22' scale and you can get a really good tone from them.
    have fun robert
  • They'll be right..just the job for single string diddley bows or 22 1/2inch scale 3 stringers..I've made loads like that.
  • cool H.G this is my first (proper) cigar box guitar (have built one using an old cheap chinese chisel box and it is a bit of a frankenstien looking monster) and was a wee bit concerned that they were too small.

HOGS GRUNT said:
    No problem with the boxes.
    Try a 24" scale and see how it sits on the box.
    If no good then just make the scale longer or shorter until you get the layout you want.
    Hope this helps.
    Hogs.
This reply was deleted.