I’ve been making cbg for a little of a year now, have 22 under my belt, a website, etc, getting better and better with my craft but I have seemed to get uninspired and not wanting to get in the shop and make them anymore.  After my 8th one I started making them to sell and maybe that what got me in this slump.   Since January I’ve only made 2 which is the second one is only 75% complete now it just sits there and I don’t have the inspiration or “will” to want to build anymore.

I’m asking all those that make tons to sell, what do you do to keep inspired and keep going, money is always a good push when one sells, but how to get out of this slump???

Views: 1464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've made only 29 over a five year period and can understand how you're bored with the basic cigar box guitar thing, there's not much of a challenge after making 22 in a year. I don't make them to make money it is purely for my own entertainment, if I sell one or two along the way it's a bonus.

I've maintained my interest by using other boxes ( Guinness, Quality Street metal ) ,making the boxes from scratch, using ply or in some cases solid timber sheet ( You'd be amazed at the difference in the sound with better materials), cat bowl reso on a home made box and boxes with copper tops. Trouble is when each one is different you don't want to part with them so the collection just gets bigger.

Try something different, look for more of a challenge.

I'm with you Michael...Collect the whole set. No two are alike and that's part of the fun. Love that copper top and I have been wanting to build some sort of reso when I get the time. Hmmm, there is almost half the year left, I better get started.

Here's what happens when I don't feel like building a CBG...the grand kids benefit..

yup

heck,    have  a computer  crash   , and loose   the intenet  for  a week  ..   fark  ,,  i  got  so  bored  , i  made a guitar out of my  desk   phone .

That's cool Pick!

Love that it's sort of oriental/Gothic

When I get overwhelmed with work and need to do something else I dabble in making rustic furniture. These small benches are fun to do and gives me a break from doing custom bone work.

cool   randy  .  

In the timeless words of Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) in The Shining..."All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy".

Balancing cbg building with life's other pleasures is important. In my case, I am a farmer (hence the nomenclature "Farmer Ted") and am busy with farm duties from May to October. Typically I will only build custom commissioned builds during those months.

But from November to April I am in the shop every day, even if only for a few hours. To make things interesting, I break away from what may be called "traditional" cbg builds, and make things like lapsteels, hockey stick guitars, strum sticks and pickups.

Variety is the spice of life, and works well for me. Just remember, if you're spending all your spare time building, that leaves less time for friends, family, playing music, and boobies.

who mentioned boobies?

When your passion becomes work your working too hard . 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
15 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
15 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
16 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
16 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
16 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
18 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
18 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
21 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
yesterday
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
yesterday
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->