Ok, I've made a few CBGs with a piezo disc pickup, but would like to use a single coil pickup.
Can anyone lead me to a forum 'discussion' which might explain the construction of the neck/body?
Can I use a neck-through body design or is there a different method?
Also, are there any photos in the gallery which would be helpful?
Thanks in advance for your help. This forum and the members are awesome!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  

That is funny you should reply. After I posted this, I did go to Smokehouse and read your instruction guide. Very cool and full of a lot of advice (love al the pictures). Thanks for your help. I think I'm ready to have a try at it.

Thanks!

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:

Hey bro.  Not to be a shameless self promoter but you can go to the Smokehouse Guitars group and go to any of the featured discussions for neck construction and installation.  The methods described there apply to any kind of neck from 3 string to any string.

Take care.

Al said:

Well, I have to post, things did not work out so well on routing the cavity in the neck.

I did not want the pup protruding too far out from the top of the box, which resulted in it being lower inside the box. This meant I had to carve a deeper cavity completely through the neck and into the piece of wood reinforced under the neck.

When I cut completely through the neck, it lost all its strength and it was evident it was not going to hold up to the tension when strung.

So, a set back or a learning opportunity?

Now, trying to figure out how to build using the 'neck bolt' method.
  • Hey bro.  Not to be a shameless self promoter but you can go to the Smokehouse Guitars group and go to any of the featured discussions for neck construction and installation.  The methods described there apply to any kind of neck from 3 string to any string.

Take care.

Al said:

Well, I have to post, things did not work out so well on routing the cavity in the neck.

I did not want the pup protruding too far out from the top of the box, which resulted in it being lower inside the box. This meant I had to carve a deeper cavity completely through the neck and into the piece of wood reinforced under the neck.

When I cut completely through the neck, it lost all its strength and it was evident it was not going to hold up to the tension when strung.

• Well, I have to post, things did not work out so well on routing the cavity in the neck.

• Justin,

Thanks for the tip. I tried your method and it worked perfect. Forstner bit to cut the ends and a jig saw & file to do the rest. Thanks, again for your post.

Justin said:

Having not even finished my first build, I'm far from an expert. But I did cut a nice hole for my pickup and I can tell you how I did it. Depends a lot on the tools you have available to you.

My pickup has rounded ends, so I measured and it's 3/4" wide. I measured and laid out two 3/4" holes the proper distance apart. I drilled them with a forstener bit and connected them with the scroll saw. You could just as easily do the straight cuts with a coping saw if you don't have a scroll saw. Leave a little extra meat on your cuts so you can size them with a file. This left me with a perfect cutout my pickup slides right into.

• I notice Musician's Friend is selling Squier by Fender Telecaster pickups, they appear to be an OEM replacement part and the cost is USA $ 12.99.

http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3744733-10381297?url=http%3A%2F%2Facce...

•  

Which leads me to a dumb question. Do I have to ground the pot? I use a metal pin for a bridge, does it have to be grounded there? Any other options or alternatives?

Don Thompson said:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php...

Mark Myers said:

Any one have the wiring diagram for a single coil to a volume knob?

• thanks!

Don Thompson said:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php...

Mark Myers said:

• http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php...

Mark Myers said:

• Any one have the wiring diagram for a single coil to a volume knob?

• great idea.... "adapt and overcome!!!"

Al said:

I was thinking about taking my drill press and using a forstner bit to cut some of the thickness out. Also, wondering if this is method is overkill. Maybe using a knife will be better. I don't have a dremel.

Wichita Sam said:

the pot shafts may be too short, depending on the length of the shaft and the thickness of the top... but, dont worry, you can always "thin" the top on the underside with not loss in appearance to your CBG... I used to thin with a knife, but now I love my Dremel sanding wheel.  I would guess that I thin about 1/2 of the tops where I install pots....

hope this helps,

the best,

Wichita Sam

Al said:

Thanks for the all the responses. I've ordered a pickup off the internet. It's pre-wired with volume/tone knob. From looking at the picture, I wonder if the shafts are going to be to short to go through the box lid? I may be back, with more questions and help!

This reply was deleted.