the slideshow depicts the steps to build a custom CBG. Worked with client on all design elements and materials selection... He got updates pics every day or two... Secret to a great build is good material selection and solid building skills... enjoy...

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sam,

Thanks very much for the tuning info! I tried Open G, which seemed to stress the box top a bit, pulling it slightly out of alignment. Still sounded good, but man, that g2 string sure was strained to the breaking point. So I tuned it to an E9 variant that really caused the box to resonate! I'm still playing around with tunings, as #268 and I get to know one another, but I just wanted to let you know you have another proud and happy owner on your hands. I plugged it into a Pignose that I keep at my Mom's house in Houston when we visit, and it sounded great. #268 will be featured in a series of upcoming vids here on CBN, as I play it and a couple of other Christmas presents through my small amp collection.

Happy New Year,

Oily
  • Oily,

I'm pretty sure it would be open G   GDgb... assuming the strings haven't been changed.... some builds just come together great.  This was one of them...

the best,

Wichita Sam

Oily "Strat-O'-Nine-Tales" Fool said:

Sam,

Sean sold me #268 back in October. I just opened the box, since it was meant as my November birthday present, not a Christmas present ( my wife is pretty strict about not opening before the blessed event). Beautiful work, and the acoustic sound is incredible! Haven't plugged it in yet; was wondering what tuning you recommend for it, as it was detuned for shipment.

Oily
  • Sam,

Sean sold me #268 back in October. I just opened the box, since it was meant as my November birthday present, not a Christmas present ( my wife is pretty strict about not opening before the blessed event). Beautiful work, and the acoustic sound is incredible! Haven't plugged it in yet; was wondering what tuning you recommend for it, as it was detuned for shipment.

Oily
  • Thanks.... yes, I just got a reply for the proud owner... They are very happy... we've made a CBG disciple...

Sam

Bluesheart said:

Sure makes that look easy!!! Great job you did for them, I'm sure they were thrilled.
  • Sure makes that look easy!!! Great job you did for them, I'm sure they were thrilled.
  • no problem,,, be sure to post some pics and ask for help if you get stuck... there's lots of searchable information, but if you catch me on a not so grumpy day ;-) , I try to answer your questions.

the best,

Wichita Sam

Earl William Birth III said:

Thanks for replying. I am just trying to get some ideas for my first build.I am going to start after I get all of my parts together.
  • Thanks for replying. I am just trying to get some ideas for my first build.I am going to start after I get all of my parts together.
  • Earl,

Thanks,  Fretboard is cherry repurposed from a custom home builder.... I ripped it and then resawed on a table saw.  A light sanding on the cut surface and left the finished side up... came out to about 1/2 a mm over 1/2 inch......

the best,

Wichita Sam

• Great lookin guitar.What do you use for fretboard? Is it already that thickness?
This reply was deleted.