Build Resonators?

Hello everyone. I have been playing guitar for 18 years. I just recently got an old resonator dobro. It was my grandfathers. I have been looking for a new hobby and when I saw a guy playing a CBG I was hooked and determined to build one. I haven't been able to find any plans on how to build the resonator part. Can anyone help me? I have don research on what I can use, I just need help on how to build. Thanks.

Wayne

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I bought this resonator stuff off e-bay (box is mine) About have it figured out. Think I need a sound ring (gonna make it out of a cheap 6" tamborine) Let you know what happens. I hope this gets posted, I'm not that good with computers.

I don't know how to make my pic show so you'll have to click the link below.

SDC10796.JPG

• Thanks for saying so. Old Lowe did the rustic patina work on the cone, the rest is mine.
  • Nice work Craig.  I like your design...looks cool.

Craig Cox said:

Old Lowe is spinning some nice cones out of brass and aluminum. here's what I did with one

305741542?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• all hail, bairfoot cajun! we are not worthy

305741296?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I'm not sure what happened to my reply. Anyway, I did a resonator experiment with a number of found resonators awhile back, including an Altoids tin. Check it out here: http://skeesixcbgs.com/page/3/
  • There's a great video tutorial right here on the Nation. 

Check Here

Put together years ago by Jim Farris.  He uses an old cake pan, but you could use a pie-plate too.  A wood reso-cover gets bolted over the pan, and the bridge goes on the cover.  It's a slick, slick build and it produces good sound, too.  You might also want to check Bairfoot Cajun's page.  He's the unofficial king of the non-standard materials reso build.

• Do you mean using the altoids tin as the resonator? That would be pretty small, so not much resonatin' going on there.

• Hey that looks awesome! Nice work. I like the rustic look. I am actually looking for more of the "Folky" look for my resonator. I am interested in using a tin Altoids mint box. Any ideas on how to install that?

Craig Cox said:

Old Lowe is spinning some nice cones out of brass and aluminum. here's what I did with one

• Hey that looks awesome! Nice work. I like the rustic look. I am actually looking for more of the "Folky" look for my resonator. I am interested in using a tin Altoids mint box. Any ideas on how to install that?
  • Old Lowe is spinning some nice cones out of brass and aluminum. here's what I did with one

This reply was deleted.