Hi folks, a while back I built a fun little 3-string slider using a broomstick handle.  In retrospect, I'm beginning to think that it needed to be just a tad heavier to handle the tension of 3-strings.  Anybody got experience using broomsticks for necks, and if so, what size they would recommend?  Thanks.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've used 21mm and 25mm dowels on Diddley bows with no problems at all even with soft wood. Even if they bow a little you are playing with a slide anyway...easy to replace if you need to and cheap enough. Go for it!
  • I used a 1" red oak dowel from Home Depot to make this canjo.  I have since restrung it with a 52 gauge string.

I believe that it is definitely strong enough to hold 3 strings.

306242927?profile=original

• I ave not tried a 3 string , but did a Didley Bow one string - the string was the wire wrapped around the straw & pretty heavy.  I think it is about 1", but had some cracks from weathering. - Momma wasn't about to let me tear up her good broom :-)

didley 01

• I've used one inch dowels for one string, which worked fine. It was some kind of white wood, species unknown. I believe Lowes/Home Depot might have oak dowels?

• A standard broom stick size (3/4") of a hardwood like hickory will easily handle 3 strings..... If you buy dowel sticks, know what wood it's made of.  Some are either soft woods or "open grained" hardwoods that will either bend or break under pressure.

• The only broomstick necks I have seen use two sticks side by side. I am really unsure a standard broomstick could stand up to a two stringer?? 

I have used shovel and ax handles successfully.

This reply was deleted.